1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connection works, but Host computer's connection doesn't

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yngjun, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yngjun

yngjun Thread Starter

Hey,
    I have a internet connection through a cable modem.
    The modem is a Scientific Atlanta webstar 2100 and also using a wireless router that's a Linksys WRT54GS.
    I connect it to my computer and everything. The wireless works fine (i'm using a laptop to create this post). However, it is not a secure network so I wanted to add a password. The problem is that the host computer that is connected to the router has no internet connection. When I open internet explorer or try to find a connection through the troubleshoot, it says it can't find one. Can anybody figure out why this would happen and how to fix it? I think I have the modem's drivers and stuff updated to the host computer and stuff.
    Therefore, I have no wait getting to the ip address and/or setting up a secure network.

Please help me,
    Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    would explain how all connected - all PC should be connected to the router - so there should not be a HOST PC

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why not start by posting this from the non-working computer?

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice