Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless Connection Works, Ethernet Connection Doesn't

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I am trying to set up a new Thinkpad laptop to work on my HOME workgroup and on a new OFFICE workgroup. I have used the HOME workgroup for many years, with many computers, without a problem, but this is the first time I have needed to set up two networks, and a laptop that works on both (I got a new Thinkpad, and rented a new office at the same time - big mistake).

- I am trying to configure the laptop to belong to the OFFICE workgroup, but have access to computers/shared devices from the HOME workgroup when I am on the home network, and of course share the Internet connection on both networks.

- Both networks have a Wireless Router with firewall - the one at HOME is a Linksys - the one at the OFFICE is a Netgear.

- Because of the firewall in the router, I have turned off Windows Firewall (although interestingly, it seems to turn on by itself quite often on the Thinkpad - another issue i need to get to the bottom of).

- HOME network is cable/cable modem, OFFICE is a T-1.

- I am trying to use IBM's "Access Connections" tool to create two network profiles, so that I can easily switch from OFFICE to HOME. The HOME wifi is unsecured, while the office is WEP.

Both the wired (ethernet) and wireless connections work fine at the office, but at home, the wired connection cannot renew the IP address, and so IBM Access Connections automatically fires up the wireless radio, and is only able to connect that way.

The Local Connection (at home) shows in the system tray with a "!" and a tooltip status of "Limited or no connectivity".

When I click on the "Local Area Connection" myself (via Network Places) and click Repair, it gets stuck in the same place - trying to renew the IP address - and I get this message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
Renewing your IP address.

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.​

...and since the person who manages my network is me, I'm not much help. :)

So, I am assuming it is something to do with DHCP, but I can't figure out why it works one place and not the other. I have tried recreating both networks via the "Set up a Home Office Network" wizard, and have even switched the Thinkpad back and forth between workgroups to try to get a configuration that works - but to no avail.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, it wasn't the wire, but it was darn close. It appears to be the port on the router!

I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems. It figures that the day I try to get a new laptop set up, it goes on the fritz! Made it look like it was me and the laptop; I didn't even think of the router.

Thanks for the hint. And now, I will go hang my head in shame! :)

You did save me a lot of time, though - thanks, John!

#4 ·
I'm glad you got it going. I was going to suggest the port next, I probably should have put that in the same message.

It's always the easy things that get you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.