1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Connections have disappeared since installing Realtek USB Wifi Booster

Discussion in 'Networking' started by entombedpit, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. entombedpit

entombedpit Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me...

I am running an ASUS laptop with Windows 7. My wireless has been working fine, but my room is quite far from the router, so I bought a signal-booster USB aerial made by Realtek (REALTEK 11n USB Wireless LAN Driver and Utility). It came with a small software CD too which I installed, and it worked fine for two days and boosted my wireless signal.

However (you knew it was coming, the story can't stay happy) soon the red light on the USB booster stopped blinking and it showed the red 'x' where my wifi connections are. I couldn't get it to re-establish a connection without doing a full system restore and re-installing the USB signal booster, which would then work again for a short amount of time (maybe a day, maybe an hour). And worse, now when the USB booster is unplugged from the computer my laptop will not return to recognising wireless connections like it did before I installed the USB signal booster. It simply does not find any connections - the only time it does is directly after I have re-installed the software from the small disc which came with the Realtek USB signal booster.

I have now uninstalled the Software and anything made by Realtek but still it is finding no connections.
    Now I would just like to find a way to get back to where I started when my computer was finding all wireless connections like normal... a connection with a weak signal is better than this nightmare of constantly restoring my computer just to get a brief connection.

Please help if you can, i'll be very grateful. Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. entombedpit

p.s. I'm a freelance graphic designer using my computer for work and hence don't have IT support to help out! Plus no money for a techperson

3. entombedpit

By the way it is a Realtek RTL8188S WLAN Adapter

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you ever try the latest driver from Realtek's web site?

What adapter are you trying to use when not using the Realtek? If it is an integrated adapter is it switched on?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice