1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Connections setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jerold, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

I am running a Linksys Wireless router with a D-Link PC card in my laptop. I have been having drop out problems lately. I just updated the software for the D-Link DWL-G650 PC Card to the latest from their site. I have some questions.

1. Which is better to use to manage the wireless connection - Windows or the D-Link utility?

2. Whenever I open up the utility and look at the available networks, I see my connection that I set up and another one that is called default. Does that mean that there is someone else in my area with a wireless network that my card is seeing or is it my router. How do I find out if it is someone on my block? Before I had the intermittent drop outs, There was never s "default" netwrok available. My connection has WEP security set up and the default one does not.

3. Which Auth. Mode should I use: Open? Shared? or Auto? for my WEP encryption.

2. 802.11g Monk

802.11g Monk

First things first - if you see your network listed and you are only running 1 router, then the 'default' network is someone else.
    The default is someone running their router with the factory settings, and doesn't care who sees what's on their PCs. Since your running WEP, you are protected, and there is another indication that its not your router.

Secondly - if you updated your Net Card drivers, then you are able to utilize (most likely) WPA (or Wireless Protected Access). This is the new security standard above WEP and only requires a Microsoft patch available on their website.

As far as what Auth to go with - don't go with Open! Trust me, do a google on WPA and check out how it works and how easy it is to setup - I guarantee you will not have any problems with security in the future.

Monk

3. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

In my D-Link PC card utility, When I lose my wireless connection it says "no network connection". When my wireless is up it says "associated....". Now I have been noticing when my connection drops and I try to rescan that it says "joined...".

Does this mean that someone is trying to hook up to my wireless signal or access my data? How would I find out if someone is trying to use my connection. I don't know if I am losing my link because someone is trying to hack into it. This default connection has only appeared in the last few days and since it is unsecured, I am guessing that they don't know enough to set up their encryption security.

I have set up my WEP to grant access to only two MAC addresses (my laptop and my wife's laptop) and with an encryption key access, so I am pretty sure that they can't hack into my network or access my files. Am I correct in this assumption?

I tried connecting to the default connection, and it looked like it was going thru, but I stopped it before it actually did it. I didn't want to intrude on another signal. These routers don't have a very big reception radius, so it must be one of my neighbors. Is there a utility that I can download that will tell me if anyone is trying to use my signal?

I don't want to sound paranoid, but I don't want any hackers or viruses invading my network.

Lastly, is there any way for me to set up my wireless PC card to only look for MY linksys router and no one elses that may be around (like this default connection)?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice