1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connectivity issue.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PAMike, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PAMike

PAMike Thread Starter

Hello,

Recently, I have been experiencing an issue with maintaining connection when my wireless laptop is near my Linksys router. The connection continues failing when close to the router, but I stay connected whenever I move away from it.

My laptop is an HP Pavilion running Windows Vista...I am using a Linksys WRT110 wireless router which has the latest firmware update installed. My WIFI adapter is a Broadcom 4322AG...which has the current drivers installed.

I have my router set to channel 11...the least traffic in my area is using this channel. The RSSI number runs between ( -65 to -75) when away from the router, & about -38 RSSI when sitting next to the router.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation & perhaps offer a solution.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is "close"? Sometimes less than five or six feet between router and adapter gives problems.

3. PAMike

PAMike Thread Starter

Whenever I use my wireless laptop within 12 to 20 feet of the router...I will have serious connectivity issues. Using Windows diagnostics leads to messages such as: "reset the network adapter, 'issue a new IP address', etc. However, these are just temporary fixes that lead to the same result...which is more disconnects.

I never was aware that having my laptop ( wirelessly connected ) too close to the router would cause this occurrence. Are there any settings that can be altered within the router ( e.g. beacon, etc. ) that would enable my laptop to remain connected when being close to the router?

Thanks for your reply & any additional information that you can supply.

Mike

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Twelve to twenty feet should be no problem.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

5. PAMike

PAMike Thread Starter

Hello,

Once again, thanks for the quick response...I just downloaded the Xirrus Wi-Fi inspector program and this is a screenshot of the functionality of my network when I am on the lower level of my 2 storey house...I always seem to have a solid connection when further away from the router.

Hopefully, the image that I captured will be properly uploaded...let me know if this information is the proper information that I needed to attach.

If this is correct, I will be able to capture an image when the laptop is close to the router & show the information when the connection fails.

Thank you,
    Mike

Attached Files:

6. PAMike

PAMike Thread Starter

My apologies...I did not attach the proper information. Here is the Radar, connection, etc.

Attached Files:

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That looks good. And now you're going to capture the "bad" time, right?

8. PAMike

PAMike Thread Starter

Correct...should be able to get that info within a day...if not, sooner.

9. PAMike

PAMike Thread Starter

Ok, here's the capture image when the signal failed...this when sitting within 5 feet of the router.

An added note: Simply turning my back to the router ( laptop facing the opposite wall ) seems to help tremendously...I remain no more than 5 feet from the router in this position. I never was aware that being in close proximity of the wireless router would cause continual disconnects...perhaps, the stronger the signal ( in this case ) does not warrant staying connected.

Please inform me if you have received this message & attachment.

Thanks for the assistance.

Mike

Attached Files:

10. huggie54

huggie54

@ Terrynet is there a fault with the DNS server address

11. PAMike

PAMike Thread Starter

I have no clue if there is...how would I go about finding that information?

12. PAMike

PAMike Thread Starter

TerryNet...let me know if you have received the 'bad' time capture image.

Thank you,
    Mike

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I see it, but it's a bit strange. Xygi W doesn't even appear in the list of Networks, but its signal history is being tracked.

Did you do something that might have caused the signal strength to jump from -90 dBm to -35 dBm?

huggie54, my guess on the DNS is that the PC is connected to a router (call it Rb) with IP 192.168.2.1 and that router is daisy-chained to another router (call it Ra) with IP 192.168.1.1. Sometimes a router will pass on for DNS address the address it gets from "higher up" instead of its own address. And that, I assume, is the case here. Linksys routers do this by default. And Rb appears to be a Linksys (or Cisco).

14. PAMike

PAMike Thread Starter

The computer was within 5 feet of the router..after approximately 10 mins...it disconnected. I didn't do anything that would cause the signal to jump. When the disconnect occurred, I noticed that Zygi W ( my SSID ) was no longer listed....I'm assuming that this is a natural occurrence due to the connection drop.

The router is a Linksys WRT110...roughly 3.5 years old. My desktop is hard wired...using a Verizon DSL modem...approximately 2.5 years old.

Could this possibly be attributed to the DSL modem or Linksys router going bad?

The IP for the DSL modem is 192.168.1.1 & the Linksys router is 192.168.2.1

I also noticed that I will drop connection ( not regularly ) when away from the router...lately, it has been stable for the most part.

If I can offer any other vital information, please let me know. This has been a 'head scratcher' for the past several months.

I appreciate any further assistance you can offer.

Mike

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not natural.

To determine if this is likely a router or adapter problem do you or can you use the PC with another wireless network or another wireless device with your network?

As I said earlier there can be problems when the router and adapter are within five or six feet of each other. But I've never heard of any trouble of too-close for anything farther than six feet.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice