1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connectivity problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ryanheartfield, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryanheartfield

ryanheartfield Thread Starter

Hey guys not sure if this is right forum for this, but Im having trouble connecting to wireless networks which are password protected. Im using a Toshiba Equium Notebook and I can connect fine to wireless networks that are unsecure for example my home netgear wireless router. However as soon as I add pasword protection to the network and enter the password correctly it either says I cannot connect or the password is wrong, when is definitely correct. And this is the same for all wireless networks.

I think its a software problem on my notebook, as it cannot be my home network or others because other noteboojs iv used can connect fine with the password enabled.

Any help or advice would be great thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest correct driver for your wireless adapter.

What kind of encryption and what kind of "password" are you using?

3. ryanheartfield

Im using WEP, every time i enter the pasphrase making sure it correct it replies saying the passthrase is incorrect. The same is for WPA

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When using WEP use a HEX key, not an ascii passcode. The passcode can be translated differently by different devices.

5. ryanheartfield

yeah I iv already tried that and the system still would not log on, it would just say its wrong or on WPA that it just cannot connect, however when I take of the password and encryption to unsecured the notebook connects fine.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What operating system? If it's Windows XP, what service pack level?

7. ryanheartfield

no its not windows im using it vista home premium package and its up to date with updates.

8. ryanheartfield

not windows xp i mean

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Keep checking Toshiba's web site every couple days for a wireless adapter update (assuming you're using an integrated adapter). They don't seem to be good at making XP drivers available quickly, and maybe they're no better with Vista drivers.

It's my impression that some people are having trouble with Vista and WEP with older routers, but I haven't heard of any problems (other than drivers) with WPA.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The way to find out is to start your own thread, describing your network and your problem.

11. avisitor

avisitor

Again, please start your own thread. It's very hard to keep track of two problems in the same thread. We won't be able to help you unless you create your own thread.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice