1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless connectivity?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sanix11, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sanix11

sanix11 Thread Starter

I have been having an issue with my HP Pavillion DV2000 laptop, this thing is a mess since I bought it. It was my first laptop and 2 weeks into it I had to send it out and have the screen replaced because of bad pixels in the lcd. Ever since then the operating system has been corrupted, and I had to install an additional copy of XP PRO i had lying around.. compared to the previous Windows Media XP.

My issue is that it will pick up wireless networks and connect to the saying "excellent" signal strength, however it will only send packets and receive "0". I can not ping my own network address (192.168.1.1), its error message is "destination host unreachable". I can not ping any websites and what not. I can not access the router, but the router is reading the wireless connection.

If I connect through CAT5 I am fine.

This issue occurs also at my office, and I can not figure out why?

Any help would be great.

All settings are the default settings for the computer, I use the same config on any other computer I setup for wireless connectivity and this issue has got me on all fours with my tail between my legs. I have a linksys router at home and a netgear router at my office..

Some constructive critisizm would be great :)

Thank you in advance for help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since this was an HP system, it should have had an option for either a recovery disk or probably a recovery partition, so you didn't have to install your own copy of XP.

I suspect you have some issue with the drivers, have you downloaded the updated drivers for the wireless card from HP?

Let's see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    in addition to johnwills request - would you also

start>
    control panel>
    system>
    hardware tab>
    device manager button>

network adapters
    click on the + sign

post backs whats there

also any ! X or ?

AND
    download and install
    Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

4. sanix11

sanix11 Thread Starter

Yes it would seem that way, however due to the crash I lost all access to my hard drive and a restore disc is not included in the laptops hardware when purchased, instead a recovery partition is used, and unfortunetly that was corrupted as well.

I had to order a $80.00 factory reinstall cd, which i never received and I have waited for over 6 months, infact, HP has given me the run around so many times I have it recorded on my nextel how much b.s. they tried to feed me, Ive filed 5 BBB complaints and so far no money back from the chargeback and no CD. :mad:

I have downloaded all of the drivers neccisary except because I am using a "extra" copy of windows, my sound drivers will not work properly. I plan on just buying a copy of windows vista business later on, and cutting my looses.

Anyways my IPCONFIG:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pro-r4xzoiiywg6
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-F1-66-34
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.148.17
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>

Device's Listed:
    * 1394 Net Adapter
    * Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    * NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have firewalll connected ??

6. Meto

Meto

Hello,

From the pasted info, I understand that you use the standard automatic properties for your wireless adapter and you get IP address from a DHCP server. But if there is no DCHP started in your network, then the LAN device cannot retrieve an address and it set some junk numbers. That's why you cannot ping the 192.168.1.1 address (your own).

So you need only to set up your network properties correct. Just go to Start-> Settings-> Control panel-> Network connections and from there open the properties of your wireless connection, remove the obtain IP address automatically check. After that enter your IP address 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 and for gateway enter the IP of the gateway(usually this is the IP of your router). You need also to configure and the DNS addresses, but if you type the IP of the router there, I'm almost 100% sure you won't have problems accessing websites.

7. sanix11

sanix11 Thread Starter

Meto,

This solution did not work.

And i do not have a firewall setup on this network, besides the routers default security features.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice