1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless constantly disconnecting, reconnecting, not finding network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by frustrated142, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frustrated142

frustrated142 Thread Starter

Hey folks-

hoping i could get some advice or at least some troubleshooting/diagnostics steps to take on an extremely frustrating problem i'm having connecting to the internet wirelessly. here's what i'm working with:

Gateway 6510GZ
    Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, Driver version 9.0.4.39
    Intel Pentium M processor 1.60GHz, 1.0GB RAM

I'm trying to connect wirelessly to an Airport/Time Capsule connection at the office. for the most part, up until a couple days ago, this connection worked well. since i've started having problems, other computers at the office (all macs) have still been able to connect perfectly, so the problem seems to be isolated to my computer.

what happens is that my computer basically will not connect to the internet, and when it does, disconnects after 5, 10, or 15 seconds, looks for the network, connects, and then repeats it all. sometimes, when it reconnects, it tells me that i'm connecting to an unsecured network, even though the network is password-protected. the quality of the connection varies from "no signal" to "very good" to "excellent," all within the span of a minute or two.

i also intermittently get the following messages:
    "this network has limited or no connectivity" with the little exclamation point inside the yellow triangle;
    "unable to connect to preferred wireless network"

sometimes when i click on "view available wireless networks" it can't find any on the first or second try, and then finds the correct network, tries to connect, and repeats the cycle described above.

sometimes it'll stay connected for 5 minutes, or even 20-30 minutes, and then suddenly drop off.

help!!!

2. Sponsor

3. frustrated142

I noticed other folks with similar questions were asked to do this "ping" thing, so I went ahead and did that, in case that helps - see below.

of note- when i started to do this, the wireless connection had been up and running perfectly, going on 30 minutes. as i'm typing in the last step and hitting "enter," another unexplained hicup occured - the wireless disconnected itself, then connected again, only to claim that the network is "unsecured," then disconnected and connected again to the secure network, with a "very good" signal strength w/ 54.0mbps...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>PING 206.190.60.37

Pinging 206.190.60.37 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=50
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=50
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=50
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 43ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>PING yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [68.180.206.184] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=46
    Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=145ms TTL=46
    Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=46
    Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=106ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 68.180.206.184:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 88ms, Maximum = 145ms, Average = 107ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>NBTSTAT -n

Wireless Network Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.2.10] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    MARC-2562E7D70F<00> UNIQUE Registered
    MARC-2562E7D70F<20> UNIQUE Registered
    WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MARC-2562E7D70F
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-F0-30-3A-7E
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.10
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Domingo, 18 de Enero de 2009 19:15:1
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Miércoles, 21 de Enero de 2009 19:15
    :19

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm thinking you may have two wireless clients running. Are you using Windows WZC to control the connection, or the Intel client? You need to insure the other service is NOT running.

5. frustrated142

how to i go about finding out if that's happening?

6. JohnWill

First, you tell us if you use WZC or the Intel client to control the wireless connection. :)

7. frustrated142

aahh... ok.i get it. :)

well, up until now, i've always used windows to control the wireless connection. i didn't even know there was an intel client until yesterday, because the intel people finally replied to my technical support email and told me to uninstall and then reinstall all the drivers and software, which i did, thus installing the intel client onto my computer, which i don't remember ever seeing before.

but, i've changed the setting so that i'm once again controlling the connection with windows - is there any way i can go about making sure that one or the other is truly disabled (and which one do you recommend using? i personally prefer windows...)??

btw, connection seems to be working better now - there's still the occasional disconnection, but they're fewer and further in between and also it reconnects within a matter of a couple seconds...

8. frustrated142

By the way, windows is identifying the connection as "Wireless Network Connection 2" instead of just plain ol' "Wireless Network Connection." I'm pretty sure this started only after i did the Intel uninstall/reinstall...is that a problem?

9. JohnWill

Don't worry about the name, that's normal when you install again. For XP, you can simply go in and rename it if it bothers you. :)

For occasional disconnections, it could be wireless interference or some other issues.

Some things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
    5. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

10. frustrated142

Thanks, seems to be working better now. (y)

11. JohnWill

Can we consider this one solved?

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.¬© :)

12. frustrated142

oh hell... it's not quite "solved" after all. it's doing the same thing again- constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, having trouble/not connecting at all in the first place... argh!! help!!

note: as it disconnects and reconnects, the mbps is getting consistently lower/changing: 54, 48, 36... and then back up to 48...

13. JohnWill

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

14. frustrated142

Thanks. Some weren't started, others were on manual; some were already started/automatic.

The only one I couldn't get to start was "Computer Browser." I got the following message: "Computer Browser service started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do..."

btw, I have been using the Intel software to manage the wireless for the past couple of days, and my connection is actually kind of decent - it still occasionally hiccups, but decent.

Ah, the wonders of PC's... :rolleyes:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791902