Wireless constantly dropping

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chart2006

I have a Netgear Wireless N USB adapter with a Belkin Wireless N+ router. Every time I try to download a large file my connection drops every few minutes. I've already tried downloading the Bioshock 2 update 5 times but has failed every time due to my connection dropping. I've been downloading this 1.5GB file and my connection has dropped over 6 times in the last hour alone. The only way to regain a connection is to unplug the USB adapter and plug it back in. I've tried resetting the modem, router, and adapter but it still drops a connection. Signal is not a problem because I have full signal. This is just incredibly frustrating. I’m running Windows 7 and I’ve had this adapter attached to a different system running Vista and it did the same thing for the most part. Both the router and adapter are only a few months old. I’ve experienced the same issue with other USB wireless devices. I’ve never had this issue with my laptop but only with these USB adapters. Is there something I can do to fix this issue? Is the port just simply shutting down to supposed ‘inactivity?’ Very frustrating please help!?:confused:

I have a Netgear Wireless N USB adapter with a Belkin Wireless N+ router. Every time I try to download a large file my connection drops every few minutes. I've already tried downloading the Bioshock 2 update 5 times but has failed every time due to my connection dropping. I've been downloading this 1.5GB file and my connection has dropped over 6 times in the last hour alone. The only way to regain a connection is to unplug the USB adapter and plug it back in. I've tried resetting the modem, router, and adapter but it still drops a connection. Signal is not a problem because I have full signal. This is just incredibly frustrating. I’m running Windows 7 and I’ve had this adapter attached to a different system running Vista and it did the same thing for the most part. Both the router and adapter are only a few months old. I’ve experienced the same issue with other USB wireless devices. I’ve never had this issue with my laptop but only with these USB adapters. Is there something I can do to fix this issue? Is the port just simply shutting down to supposed ‘inactivity?’ Very frustrating please help!?:confused:
Did you try a wired computer ??? Did you try updating drivers software for the adapters ? Did you try to update the routers firmware?? how to update routers firmware:

Manually inputting the IP address on a wired computer connect it directly to your router. ip address try : 192.168.1.100 mask :255.255.0.0 gateway: 192.168.1.1 is sometime the gateway and your dns should be displayed on your gateway or router, which is your belkin router.

The information can be display also, with a dos command:

start > run > cmd

in prompt type ipconfig /all

everything should be displayed.

Enter your gateway address in to your browser.
google your model number of your belkin router with default password and user name.
It should pop up with on the search results.

Than on the setup page there should be an option to update firmware.

chart2006

I've already done all that you've suggested. The routers firmware is the latest same goes for all necessary software/drivers. I'd be more than willing to go wired if I could but I'm wireless because my apartment has one phone line into it (DSL) which is in the kitchen and my computer is in the office. There is not way I'm going to run cable from my kitchen to my office.

Have you thought about using the computer in the kitchen while you correct the problem then move it back to the office?
Might save you some grief.
Vicks

chart2006

I've done some research and it seem to be a continuing problem with this particular adapter. It's happened to me before with other adapters/routers in the past just not to the extent this one is causing. I've tried setting the adapters power management to performance as well as the USB ports to disable them from being shut down. It worked for about an hour then it dropped.

It may save me some grief but the kitchen is a fair decent ways away and my workstation is rather large while the kitchen is rather small ( as in only two ppl can be in there at a time) let alone my entire computer. I wish I could go back to wired at least.

TerryNet

Terry
Often in apartments there are a few or many other wireless networks that can cause interference. Have you checked for this? The Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector is a good tool for such detective work. You can post a screen shot of the Network page here, along with the name of your network, if you need help in interpreting the output.

QUOTE:
"It may save me some grief but the kitchen is a fair decent ways away and my workstation is rather large while the kitchen is rather small ( as in only two ppl can be in there at a time) let alone my entire computer. I wish I could go back to wired at least."

I was thinking of using it in the kitchen just while you work on the 'problem"
Vicks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!