1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Disconnecting Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BaseballDude, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BaseballDude

BaseballDude Thread Starter

Hey. I have a linksys wireless router with comcast high speed internet. On my network I have a desktop and a laptop. The laptop has an external wireless card and the desktop is plugged directly into the router. Anyway, sometimes my connection will disconnect and then reconnect and then sometimes it will disconnect and stay disconnected until I power cycle the router..

Why is it like this Im sort of a "noob" with networking and wireless stuff..

2. Sanguines

Sanguines

At what range from the router are you using this laptop?

It seems to me that when using wireless, with distance increases connectivity issues. So if you are far away, or there are many walls between you and your router, I would wager the problem lies there.

If you are NOT far away, however, then I would say either your router or wireless card have problems. Try flashing the latest firmware to your router, getting the latest drivers for the wireless adapter, etc. If that doesn't work, try to find a router and wireless card you can use for testing (besides your own, obviously :) ) and switch one, then the other - try all the combinations and see if you still have issues.

3. microwally

microwally

What connection? Your routers connection to the internet, or your computers connection to the router?

4. BaseballDude

Both computer will have the same connection issues at the same times. Also, the laptop is usaually just another room away from the router.

5. microwally

microwally

I saw a situation quite similar to this a while back. A friend has Comcast 6mb cable going into a Comcast Modem and into a Lynksys wireless router. The router was feeding two wireless laptops and a wired desktop. The laptops suddenly started having connectivity issues and the desktop would lose the internet . Reboots of all the systems, modem and router had mixed results. Turns out with some research into Comcast and Routers on google other people are having similar snafu's. Comcast may be trying to send command line to the router.
    Turns out that the fix was to spoof the MAC addy of the router with the NIC in the desktop to fool Comcasts servers into thinking it was giving internet to a single computer. It's a bit of a sour subject with people, including myself.
    Disclaimer: You didn't hear that from me.:cool:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Another thing that can cause all the wireless and wired computers to disconnect from the router at virtually the same time is wireless interference. Especially from a 2.4Ghz cordless phone.

7. BaseballDude

Micro care to expand? lol

and I dont think its interference

8. microwally

microwally

9. BaseballDude

Alright thank you. I will see what I can do I guess..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice