Wireless disconnections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MJC1125

Hello. For about a month or so now, I've been getting random disconnects from our wireless network. We have several other devices (PCs, phones, tablets, google home devices, etc.) in the house, most of which have noticed a disconnect or two from time to time, but mainly on the main computer while gaming or watching a movie. The signal would seem to disconnect for a few seconds (5-10) and reconnect. The problem seems to occur every few hours.

After visiting several websites with troubleshooting tips, like changing power settings, update drives, etc., I bought a new wireless adapter for a 5G network, and installed into USB 3.0 port. The disconnections still occur. I called our wireless provider Spectrum to have a technician come out to check things. He replaced the "House Amp" and checked the signals coming into the house etc. Still not fixed, I called them again to have another tech come out. This time they checked the signals and replaced the router, and set up new network. When that didn't solve the problem, a third tech came out and replaced the modem. He said that everything seemed fine and if the problem continued, it would be a problem with our devices.

I've tried everything I can think of to correct this problem, and have come up empty. I'd be happy to provided any other information I can if anyone has any ideas. Thank you for your assistance.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200623024718.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (274 GB Free); E: 931 GB (631 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 170808594400151
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference
Interference

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.
Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

--

How To Get a Better Wireless Signal and Reduce Wireless Network Interference

Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet: How Much Better Is a Wired Connection?

TerryNet

Terry
The disconnects only happen on the wireless part of the network, not on the ethernet portion?

MJC1125

The issue happens on both, it's just more noticeable on the wireless connections. Wireless is used by most of the devices and only 1 computer is connected with an ethernet cable.

I don't believe the problem is due to interference. We have had the same devices on the network for several years and no real issues until this started about 1 month ago.

MJC1125

We have tried these options already. The router is in the same location it has been in for over 10 years. I tried the app suggested in the article you linked and it does not show any network interference. The technicians for Spectrum even said the same, signal strengths were excellent and no outside interference.

Couriant

James
Do you have a separate modem and router?

What are the exact devices do you have on the network, both wired and wireless?

Disconnects are due to some kind of interference.

Have all of your neighbors and neighborhood had all of the exact same wiring and electronic equipment and all setup exactly the same way for the last 10 years? Something must have changed because apparently the disconnects only started happening a month or so ago?

MJC1125

The modem and router are separate, about 2 feet apart. 1 computer connected with ethernet cable, 1 desktop on wireless, 1 laptop on wireless, 3 android smartphones on wireless, 2 android tablets, 8 google home units, 1 Chromecast, nest lighting. No new devices have been added since last Christmas (2 tablets) and those were replacing older versions.

I cannot speak to what types of setup my neighbors have. On the Wi-Fi analyzer app, it had the nearest network at 150m away, and has been there for a long time also.

Couriant

James
When you lose connectivity, do you see if the modem lights are flashing on the US/DS/Online or are they solid?

When you lose connection on the computer, do you see Network Cable Unplugged (or the network icon that looks like a globe)?

The next step would be to use your computer and bypass the router and go straight to the modem for 24-48 hours and see if you get the same result. If you do this, you will need to shut down both computer and modem down. Then after a minute, start the modem first and wait for the online light to be solid then start your computer to make sure you get an IP from your internet provider and see if you get any disconnects then.

MJC1125

The modem only has 3 lights on it, Power, Online, and Voice. Did not notice the lights on the modem, when the disconnects happen, it's usually back up and running by the time I can get to it. No one else in the house has noticed either. On the wireless computer the network icon changes to the globe symbol.

Plugging in to the modem directly isn't really an option at this time, so lets say that there were no issues, what would be the next step?

Couriant

James
The modem only has 3 lights on it, Power, Online, and Voice. Did not notice the lights on the modem, when the disconnects happen, it's usually back up and running by the time I can get to it. No one else in the house has noticed either. On the wireless computer the network icon changes to the globe symbol.

Plugging in to the modem directly isn't really an option at this time, so lets say that there were no issues, what would be the next step?
Factory reset the router. If it continues replace it

MJC1125

The router was replaced by Spectrum 9 days ago, the modem replaced by them 7 days ago.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online