1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless disconnects constantly.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fyzbo, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

I have a new laptop with a built in 802.11G adapter. It connects to my router, but then disconnects periodically, sometimes it reconnects right away, other times I have to turn the wireless adapter off and back on before it reconnects. Any advice would be helpful. Is it possible it has something to do with SP2 as this is the first time I've ever used it and this is the first time I'm having problems.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

SP2 and the wireless adapters built in connection utility on alot of models do not play nice so usually you have to pick one or the other to use. As well you will probably want to check the channel your on as something else may be causing interferance. Have you tried your laptop in other wirelesas areas? You may want to do that to have piece of mind that your card and configuration of your laptop is working properly.

3. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

The wireless works well in the library. Also my desktop has a USB wireless adapter and it has no problems at home(where my laptop has problems). There is no other connection software on this laptop, only the windows connection. Is there some other software I can try instead of using windows?

4. rumpo

rumpo

I work with wireless a lot.

Often times it's 2.4 Ghz phones that interfere, and as mentioned try changing your channel to 11 and even your SSID. What router did you say it was? If you live in an apartment they can be problems because they often have concrete or steel walls that mess with the signal. The idea is to make sure there is as little in the way of the signal as possible so move those phones out of the path between the laptop and the router. Wireless signals are always tough, but most often you're looking at something in your home that's messing with the signal.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/407959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice