1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless DOWNLOAD speed problem (Upload okay)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hpdv2000t, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hpdv2000t

hpdv2000t Thread Starter

I'm having problems with Wifi download speeds on my new laptop. I have ATT DSL at home and a 2Wire 1000HW wireles modem (64-bit encryption). My desktop download/upload speed ratio via ethernet is typically 5000/600 kbps--tested consistently through different sites, including the ATT speed test page. My new laptop's wireless readings, however, are 100/600kbps--yes 100 kbps for download, 6 times slower than the upload speed! Occasionally, once in a blue moon, the download speed can go up to 900kbps for a few secs and then drops again. The consistent, continual download speed is around 100kbps. Connection strength, btw, is shown as excellent in Windows wireless assistant's tray. (When connected via ethernet, the laptop readings are the same as those of the desktop.) A friend's older Toshiba laptop had 4000/600kbps readings on that same wireless connection, last tested about two weeks ago. I've talked and run several tests with the ATT and 2Wire guys. No help--as far as they can tell there is no problem with the line or the modem. My drivers are up to date. I've installed Intel's Wireless Management Suite to see if it could help, but it's made no difference.

Any clues as to what might be causing the download slowdown and how I can fix it. Thanks in advance for responses.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/513652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice