1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless driver is not being recognized

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jillywilt, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jillywilt

Jillywilt Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2117U @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3981 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 5 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 715301 MB, Free - 675254 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X550CA
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

A friend talked me into downgrading my Windows 8 (which was REALLY slow), to Windows 7. 7 does seem faster, however, this system is not recognizing my controller drivers for wifi. I can tether and get on the internet via Ethernet cable just can't connect via wifi. I have tried to update drivers but windows is saying it cannot find driver updates and that I have to look elsewhere.

I just want my wifi back. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What is the full model of the computer please
    Did you or your friend check if there were windows 7 drivers for the computer
    Was the computer bought with Windows 8 pre-installed and if so has your friend taken the precaution of securing your ability to return to Windows 8/8.1
    It is impossible to advise you until we know what the wireless adapter is
    However if I have the correct computer see this link please

http://www.asus.com/uk/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X550CA/HelpDesk_Download/
    select your OS Windows 7 64 bit and then having established what the wireless card is download the appropriate driver
    Ralink, Broadcom or Qualcom Atheros

I presume your friend or you have ensured that the product key - licence for the 7 ultimate is available for use on this computer.
    I mention that, not to suggest that you have done anything wrong, but simply to ensure that you have considered this.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you don't know for sure if your laptop has an Atheros or Broadcom or Ralink wireless device, do the following:

Go to Control Panel - Device Manager.

Expand the Network Adapters heading.

Advise us the exact names listed there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

How and where was Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit obtained for the downgrading process?

-----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice