1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by maracles, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Hi,

Just installed vista and really like it, however my wireless does not work.

The pci card is a Belkin wireless g desktop network card, and as far as I know it is the most common one that they offer to casual users (that isn't usb). However I could not find vista drivers on their site, and when I phoned them the person on the phone was utterly unhelpful.

Could anyone suggest somewhere to find a driver for this card, if there isn't one how long to these things usually take, am I talking days, weeks or months without internet?

Thanks for help,

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If Belkin doesn't offer one, and there's no compatible driver on the Windows Update site then you may have to wait. Its really up to Belkin on how fast they get drivers out, Vista's been available to manufacturers for quite some time so it really surprises me how many don't have drivers available.

But the exact model number of the card would help us. Windows update had a driver for my Linksys card, its a generic Broadcom driver but it works perfectly.

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Put your Belkin driver CD in the cd drive , but do not let it run..The backdoor way should work. Enter the control panel/Device Manager. Right click the adapter and select "Update driver" Click the prompt, "Bowse my computer..etc. In the next window. point to the CD drive. You may then get a window saying the driver is not digitally signed, or something similar. ignore that and say install anyway. I am sure you will then find you are systems go.

4. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

The exact model number is F5D70000 V. 3000uk. I have tried the backdoor way but sadly no luck. It does not find any driver on the cd at all. I guess I'll have to wait, the person on the phone said that it is likely to be months rather than weeks, surely this cannot be the case? Do I really have to purchase a new wireless card to be able to use wireless with vista - kinda takes a little of the fun out of having the new os!!

IS there any chance a driver for another of their wireless adapters that do have vista drivers, will work on my adapter

5. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Further to this, is it just me being blind or are Belkin not even listed under the Microsoft networking update section? How can a company this big not have any drivers there at all?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Belkin use to re-label many of their products, I'm sure they still do and that might be why they are slow with drivers. Belkin isn't really up there with the real big boys.

7. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Cheers for the help,

I managed to find a beta driver on the website which worked. Hope this is useful for anyone with a similar problem. Dont phone their customer support, they are terrible - the man on the phone said I would be waiting months and did not mention anything of a beta version.

8. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

You did chk the box that said "include sub-directories?? Otherwise, I have seen on other Forums that the Belkin has a Zydas chip,. Their driver (Vista beta)seems to work on the Belkin!

9. jmwills

jmwills

Why not use the XP driver and run it in compatiiblity mode?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!