1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless drivers for SONY VAIO does not install, cannot get into internet.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cruvenium, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cruvenium

Cruvenium Thread Starter

Alright, maybe the title is abit weird.

Here's the problem, a friend of mine have a SONY VAIO and want me to upgrade for him so I recently formatted it to Windows Vista Business SP2. It's a VGN-TZ26GN/B for your information and I do not have the drivers CD. I download the wireless drivers from the SONY website and whenever I try to run it it'll just hang there for a period of time. I once try leaving it for 2 hours and after a pop-up appears that it has a problem or some ****.

So now I need to connect to the internet to update the drivers via Device Manager, but is there a way? My main computer has bluetooth (so does the SONY VAIO) is that helps, I have a CAT5 ethernet cable, a Samsung Omnia (which can connect to the internet, I read that I could use my phone as a broadband device).

So any ideas? Please help!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why not use a wired connection?

3. Cruvenium

Cruvenium Thread Starter

Um I can't, I lost the drivers (CD) for connecting to the broadband (I'm using a 2WIRE broadband but forgotten the model number), and it's complicated to setup, I remembered the last time I did it but it was quite troublesome if I'm not wrong.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's no more difficult than wireless, usually. All you need do is run a wire to the router. The setup should be pretty automatic.

5. Cruvenium

Cruvenium Thread Starter

Really? Do I have to install any ethernet drivers or stuff? I can use the CAT5 ethernet wire to connect am I right?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The default configuration of a router and Windows should be sufficient, just connect the CAT5 cable between the computer and the router.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Now you have "Mr. Network's" opinion.

But that does not answer the question about why the installation wouldn't work or why you think an internet connection will install those drivers any better.

Is this a "clean" installation or have you already installed new programs? Are there any other problems with the machine and were there any error messages during installation?

Does the popup provide any information on the problem, or have an option for showing more details?

8. Cruvenium

Cruvenium Thread Starter

Okay, will try tomorrow and thanks alot for the help. Might bump if there is still problems.

9. Cruvenium

Cruvenium Thread Starter

It's a clean installation, right after installing I tried to install the program, downloaded straight from SONY VAIO's website, but it does not work. I don't have the pop-up information, because for the pop-up to occur I need to leave it for 2 hours. In between the 2 hours it'll be showned as "Not Responding". It doesn't install the wireless drivers ultimately, I tried downloading Intel's wireless driver package which installs for the 3XXX/4XXX/5XXX and the PROSet stuff, but when it runs nothing comes out. I was thinking of updating the drivers via Device Manager, shouldn't it be better?

Also, I tried installing it in Safe Mode but it doesn't work either.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you are going to try to right-click the device in Device Manager and update the drivers over the internet, you may have a chance that it will work if the installer fails for some reason other than the drivers themselves. If MS has drivers for the device, they should be minimal and may actually work, so good luck and let us know.

But the reason for the fail is still there. Possibly the installer is corrupted, so you might just check to be sure it is the right size or try downloading again. If the icon didn't look like a normal installer's icon, then that is a sign of corruption.

(I guess we crossed one another, but are on the same page. Good luck.)

11. Cruvenium

Cruvenium Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help. Appreciate it much bro.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. Believe it or not, wires still work. I have this machine connected with a wire, but it was hard drilling the hole into the cave. :D

13. Cruvenium

Cruvenium Thread Starter

Hi friends, everything is working now, I updated via Device Manager. But now there's another problem. I have 50GB for this partition (C:\) but I NEVER installed anything except for the drivers which are updated via Device Manager & the wireless.exe from Sony's website (which never did work) but now I'm left with 6GB of space! I disabled Hibernation files (which took 2GB) & System Restore (and deleted all restoration points) but I'm still left with 8GB. What's happening?

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

15. Cruvenium

Cruvenium Thread Starter

Jesus Christ, the AppData folder is 33GB!! Can I just delete it or is it important?

EDIT:

Problem solved, there was a "Driver" folder in %TEMP% which contains .TMP files which is 33GB. Deleted and no problems. Thanks Elvandil for helping me out all along :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/845741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice