1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless drops out, due to password?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ALC0LITE, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ALC0LITE

ALC0LITE Thread Starter

The excellent connection of my modem is in a hairy contrast with the Netgear N300 wireless router installed on my computer, that being, my connection to my modem will drop out randomly at least every hour or so.
    After fiddling around a little, I discovered that that the network configuration key changes after a while... Why? I do not know.
    I am temporarily making do by re submitting the key into the password section whenever it decides to defecate itself, but, playing a game like League of Legends and having it drop out halfway through a game is extremely annoying as I usually lose the game because of a few minutes trying to fix the connection - much to the dismay of my allies!
    I am able to check that my configuration key is changed, not by the amount of hash's or astrix's shown in the password field, but by the nifty, check-box feature that allows you to see what the current configuration key is set to.
    Please help, I am on my knee's, begging :( :( :(

2. haryl87

haryl87

I couldn't tell you why this is happening off the top of my head, I do have a solution for you though. Remove the security phrase from the router, then try allowing access from only certain MAC addr. and assign yours to it. This should resolve the issue of you having to re-enter the pwd.

3. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Is the Netgear losing connection to the modem or the computer losing connection to the Netgear???

Could be a problem with the firmware on the router

What make/model modem?
    What is the version number for the Netgear?
    How are the modem and Netgear N300 connected?
    If the Netgear is a router it would usually be connected to the computer by ethernet or wireless, not installed.
    How is the connection from the N300 to the computer made?

Wireless key for the Netgear?

4. ALC0LITE

ALC0LITE Thread Starter

Hey guys sorry for not replying, but I have managed to fix it after a couple of weeks of intensive researrch. I actually had to crack into my netgear case (voiding any warranty) and discover there was a wire loose, resetting all connection passwords made and encypting them. weird

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060787