Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless -- Duplicate IP problem

607 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
My wireless will not allow both the desktop and the new laptop to be connected to wireless at the same time. It bumps one or the other off telling me it is due to duplicate IP addresses.

I can only reestablish a connection on the computer that was disabled by both restarting the computer, and turning the wireless off/on. I do get connected with both computers, briefly, but the duplicate IP problem takes over and bumps the laptop off.

Is there a way to resolve the duplicate IP problem and maintain connections with both at the same time?

Laptop -- HP Pavillion, Windows 7
Desktop -- HP Pavillion, Windows XP

Let me know if you need screenshots of anything.

#2 ·
Repair duplicate IP address on network issue.

1. Turn off everything on the network, ALL the machines and any other network device like network printers and NAS drives.
  2. Turn off the router and modem.
  3. Turn on the modem, wait for a steady data light.
  4. Turn on the router, wait two minutes.
  5. Turn on the network devices and computers, one at a time.

This issue is usually caused by resetting a router without resetting all the network connected devices.

Another issue that will cause duplicate IP addresses is assigning static IP addresses to devices that conflict with the router's DHCP address range. If you require static IP addressed devices on the network, they should be configured to be in the same subnet but outside the address range defined for the DHCP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.