wireless error "the dependency service or group failed to start"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grob3728

so i woke up this morning to find my laptop unable to connect to the net via wireless, showing the following msg "Connection status unknown. The Dependency service or group failed to start." i have tried running sfc scannow and netsh winsock reset but it does nothing. and have run a virus scan on avg but no viruses show up.
I cannot also run a system restore; when i try i get the following msg "the shadow copy provider has an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation (0x8004230F). i have tried using system restore in both safe and normal modes but nothing works.
would be great if someone could help :)
thanks

grob3728

i think it has something to do with services "network list service" and "network location awareness" both not able to start.
network list service gives error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start.
network location awareness gives error 1075: the dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

oh and im using vista by the way

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Probably time for two things. First try a stack reset.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If that doesn't change it, then I'd consider a Vista SFC Run.

grob3728

i tried the stack repair options but nothing worked.

i also ran a sfc scannow which after completed came up with the following msg: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

is there anything else to try?

TerryNet

Terry
For those services that have errors look at the Dependencies tab in Properties (for each) and follow the trail back to determine just what depended upon service will not start or has been marked for deletion.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online