Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless/Ethernet Works in Safe mode but not in Regular Windows??

841 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bloodyskullz 
#1 ·
Can someone help? This started acting up around 1:30pm (February 3rd) at school. Everything works with a Live CD (Ubuntu 8.0.4) and nicely with Safe Mode Networking and a System restore.

I tried uninstalling my drivers and updating them and it didn't help. Any other options?

Laptop specs (Inspiron 1520) :

Core 2 Duo T7200
160GB HDD 7200RPM Sata
Intel Wireless Pro a/b/g (I think it was 395 or something)
10/100Mbit NIC
8600M GT 256MB
And of course Windows XP Pro SP3

This was working fine before Tuesday and then it just decides to bug me.

HELP? Need this working for school.

#2 ·
When you boot normally are you obtaining a valid IP address? Have you tried logging into Windows with a different user profile to see if the problem persists? Have you tried disabling and firewall or antivirus software to see if they are causing any problems? Have you scanned for viruses or malware recently? Have you tried a system restore to a point when the PC was working properly?

Shukran,
Rollin

#3 ·
IP turns out to be a 169.254.138.74 address. No default gateway shown, and trying nslookup to this site says server not found.

Fortunately I did a virus scan. Unfortunately i am infected with a trojan and I am not even sure how I got it. Couldn't have been USB because I disabled auto run. But then again could have been a file infected or something.

As far as the antivirus/firewall is concerned, it isn't the case because it was working with it before.

#7 ·
The issue is you have some program blocking your interent connection. It's an Antivirus program or wirefall. You need to indenty the program and adjust it's settings or disable it.

#8 ·
The issue is you have some program blocking your interent connection. It's an Antivirus program or wirefall. You need to indenty the program and adjust it's settings or disable it.
Disabled both firewalls (Windows and Antivirus) and problem still persists! Attempted different user account (not administrator privileges) and i still get limited or no connectivity.

Is there anything else I can try? I don't want to revert back to an image restore unless needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.