1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Expansion Scenario

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tigger, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

Greetings Ladies and Gents,

I am implementing a project that I requires expanding my wireless reach, but I may be over-thinking the scenario (as I sometimes do) and I want to make sure I have this straight before spending too much money.

Here is the scenario:

Office - In the office we have High Speed Internet into a WRT54G Router and then ONE computer into that...simple.

Warehouse - 65 feet away we have a warhouse where we are having our thermostats (HVAC) all converted to this system where the company can access and control HVAC remotely via the internet. So Honeywell's equipment needs to plug into my internet connection.

The company does not want to pull wire from one building to the other, they want to go wireless. So what I am asking is for a suggested equipment configuration to get Honeywell's one ethernet cable to get my internet. I thought that I would need two access points, but I have to make sure we get what we need. There is only a router in the office right now and nothing in the warehouse.

All thoughts welcome and appreciated, Joel

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If there are minimal obstructions a wireless router or Access Point in the office and a Wireless Bridge in the warehouse should be sufficient.

Wireless Bridge is also called AP Client. The units go by different names, sometimes just "Access Point," and you have to look at the features or specs to see if they support "wireless bridge" or "AP client."

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Remember you'll also have to deal with allowing the remote connections through the router. Hopefully, the company that is doing the HVAC installation will assist in this task. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/725403