1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Extender?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cecilep61280, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cecilep61280

cecilep61280 Thread Starter

Ok im a little curious about buying a wireless extender. The problem is i'm not home much so theres really no sense in me paying almost 70 dollars a month for service. I pick up a bunch of unsecured wireless connections but its only in one window in my house and i literally HAVE to be IN the window which is very uncomfortable. I'm not worried about saftey since i dont give any information out on the computer anyways, so getting a unsecured connection does not bother me.I was wondering if there is an extender i can buy to place in my window and plug into my computer to allow me to get the signal. I have an Acer 5100. Or any other suggestions would be great....thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "any other suggestions would be great"

Suggest you read the forum rules about not asking for help with illegal activities while you wait for a moderator to apply a padlock to your thread.

3. cecilep61280

how is it illegal to use an unsecured wireless network?? If thats illegal then i guess its illegal all over the country. What would be the point in wireless laptops if you cant pick up service anywhere you bring it. You make no sense.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's illegal to connect to a wireless network paid for by a private party (a person / family) without their permission.

Connecting to public hotspots is not illegal since they're setup and designed for that purpose.

5. cecilep61280

yeah and the connection im trying to get is buffalo wi-fi....which IS a free service. So whats the issue here?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I pick up a bunch of unsecured wireless connections" doesn't tend to make a person think "one free public wireless network." :(

Extenders tend to be difficult to configure and picky about what wireless routers or Access Points with which they agree to communicate. Best to call the service, or the governent entity licensing it, and ask what will work with the system.

I'm curious--in what town are you?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I think the comment about "a bunch of unsecured networks" gives this one away. I'm sure that the free service doesn't have a "bunch of" access points, right?

Other than specific free hotspots, I don't see anything that says Buffalo has global free WiFi, care to provide a link? Here's all I find: http://www.infobuffalo.com/wifi.htm

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Aurora, IL is developing (maybe it's now complete) a free wireless service for their central city. It does, by necessity, have a lot of access points. Several months ago I walked around with a Wi-Fi detector and at most locations could detect 2 to 6 access points and some of them even had a strong enough signal for a possible connection.

OTOH I also detected many Buffalo hotspots--NOT free and unsecured.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, that seems to be what I see when looking for. Obviously, Aurora, IL is proud of theirs: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3592106

OTOH, When I search in Buffalo, I find the following specific list:

Apple Store - G116 Walden Galleria - (716) 685-2762
    Bubble Tea Cafe - 3202 Sheridan Drive
    BuffaloWiFi.org - requires registration to access public locations in Apollo Media Center - 1346 Jefferson Ave, Buffalo City Hall & Niagara Square, The Buffalo Zoo, Cathedral Park/Ellicott Square Building, Erie Basin Marina, Lafayette Square and The Theater District
    Cafe 59 - 59 Allen St. - 716-883-1880
    Cafe Aroma - 957 Elmwood Ave.
    Cathedral Park/Ellicott Square Building Hotzone
    City Grill - 268 Main Street @ Swan - 716.856.2651
    Erie County Courthouse and Old County Hall
    Eastern Hills Mall Food Court
    Spot Coffee - 227 Delaware Ave. - 716.332.2299
    Wegmans - cafe area - 601 Amherst St
    Holiday Inn Airport - 4600 Genesee Street

I think it's time to close this one. :)

We won't help you make unauthorized connections to unsecured or secured networks here at TSG.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice