1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless fast only after using ethernet...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jester2138, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jester2138

Jester2138 Thread Starter

Hello all-

I am at my family's vacation home. For several years we have stuck to using dial-up here, part of the whole isolation thing you know, but recently decided to upgrade to the most basic DSL. I set up the connection and connected the modem (Lynx L-220) to a wireless-b router (Linksys BEFW11S4) and everything was working great for about, oh, maybe an hour. It started getting unbearably slow, worse than dial-up. So I connected to the router with an ethernet cable and it's fine, most of the time. I then disconnected the ethernet and surfed wirelessly, and it was also fine. So the wireless only would work properly if I had just used the ethernet. ?????????? That's odd.......

I tried pinging a few sites on ethernet and wireless to see what happened. I opened Firefox, tried loading a page (of course it wouldn't) and then typed ping www.google.com in command prompt. It timed out a few times, then get a reply and, low and behold, the page suddenly started loading. Now I'm really confused. The internet works sometimes, the wireless works sometimes, and the ethernet works sometimes. ?????

I'm certainly planning to call tech support, but as that is a big thing to attempt, I thought I'd post here first and see if there is anyone out there who perhaps can help me.

OMG OMG OMG

Edit: I have tried pinging and loading pages only connected to the modem as well. It still doesn't work properly. I guess it's not the routers problem, maybe it's the modems? Perhaps I should ask my ISP for another modem.

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you configure encryption on the wireless router? I suspect you have freeloaders using your wireless connection, which explains why it slows up. :)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  5. Jester2138

I'm running a line quality test now.
    Edit: it said that my ip was not pingable, but I had enabled echo reply or whatever it was, so I don't know what it's talking about... I am running the test anyway even though it said I wouldn't get as many results.

6. JohnWill

You need to configure the router to allow pings.

7. Jester2138

8. JohnWill

A big part of the line quality test is the part that requires a PING.

9. Jester2138

On my test history page at dslreports, there is the line quality test that I linked to, but also another test that I have no clue what it is. The top is the line quality test I linked to and the bottom... Dunno.

Test Results
    Line quality target IP does not respond to ICMP ping
    Line quality 30% loss latency 81.6ms

10. JohnWill

Post a link to the "Donno" page. :)

11. Jester2138

12. Jester2138

Mmkay I'm back. I suppose I would be correct if I said that my tests seem to suggest that there is something weird with my DSL line? It can't be normal to fail so many and have such high packet lose and all.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm eager to read JohnWill's analysis, 'cause I'm just guessing. My guess is that there is a line problem between your ISP and your modem. Part of that line is yours--the part from (probably) just outside the house. Ideally there would be a two-way splitter there with one line directly to the modem and a filter on the other line leading to all other phone devices. How close to this ideal is your wiring?

14. JohnWill

Well, you certainly have ISP/modem issues! As Terry states, it "could" be your wiring and/or modem. My bet would be on the ISP, and I'd call them and complain and let them diagnose it.

15. Jester2138

OK well... At least it's their problem and not mine. Hopefully they'll fix it... :)

16. Jester2138

Thanks a lot for your help!

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice