1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless fully works, Ethernet works for network but not for internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tyre Kicker, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tyre Kicker

Tyre Kicker Thread Starter

Hi, I'm a forum virgin so please be gentle with me.

I have a desktop and laptop sharing files and an internet connection via modem to D-Link router setup.

My laptop connects to the network via a Netgear PCMCIA wireless card when mobile and via an ethernet cable when sitting on the desk.

The wireless connection does everything it's supposed to do (network and internet access and sharing).

The ethernet connection only shares files but can not get an internet connection to be established.

I have Norton Internet Security but I think everything's alright with that otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect wirelessly. Correct? Are there different IP setup's for wireless/ethernet.

Why can I 'see' my desktop's files and share the printer via ethernet but I can't establish an internet connection unless I go wireless?

Everything's fine with the desktop.

Sorry for the ramble and thanks in anticipation.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. Tyre Kicker

John,

Thanks for your prompt reply to my inquiry.

As soon as I did the printout, the problem became obvious and I apologise for not picking it up quicker.

I had set a fixed IP address on the laptop rather than "Obtain an IP address automatically" in the TCP/IP Internet Protocol settings. Although it's fixed now, perhaps you might explain why network access was possible but not internet access and why both levels of access were available wirelessly. Also, if my laptop is connected via ethernet and I push the PCMCIA card in, will there be a conflict or does one connection take-over from the other.

Thanks again for your reply and helping my help myself.

Neil

4. JohnWill

The reason Internet access wasn't available, is probably because you didn't have a good Default Gateway or DNS address set. All you need for your local LAN is a good IP address and subnet mask.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have multiple connections with internet access Windows will use only one and ignore the other(s). Windows seems to always pick the nominally faster (fastest) connection.

This is in response to your "if my laptop is connected via ethernet and I push the PCMCIA card in" question.

6. Tyre Kicker

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies and feedback.

7. JohnWill

Is this one solved now?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/642157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice