Wireless Headache

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bajsin

I need some help in plain english!

I have a wireless network at home. My desktop computer is wired into my D-Link router and my laptop connects via an internal wireless adapter. After several weeks of playing around, I was able to connect to the network. One of the problems I had was the wireless tray icon would hang up saying "acquiring network address". I finally realized that I should go in and manually configure the connection which I did and had no further problem.
Now, here's the problem. My friend just bought a LinksysWRT54G router so that when I came to visit, I could have Internet on my laptop. Well, after a day of playing around and several curse words later, I gave up on connecting. The icon says I am connected, but I have no interent. I viewed the available wireless networks, identified hers and entered the encryption code. It said "Connected", but I cannot access the Internet. Well, I thought it might have been my internal wireless adapter (Dell TrueMobile1300), so I went out and bought a Linksys wireless card adapter for the laptop, but still have the same problem. Any suggestions? The laptop is running Windows XP with service pack 2.

TerryNet

Terry
Change your TCP/IP properties back to 'obtain IP auto ...'. If you don't want to use that with your home network, use the TCP/IP properties Alternate tab to set your static configuration.

Also, when you are connected (via wire) update your internal wireless card from Dell. I also had a problem with a Dell laptop and a LinkSys54G until I upgraded my laptop. And, yes, make sure you are set to obtain an IP address automaticly. I have a wireless set up at home with cable modem to allow only one user and had to use the linksys as a router.

Bajsin

I did update my Dell card and also, the problem is when I change the settings to obtain IP automatically, I am unable to connect. It keeps saying "acquiring IP address" and just hangs there!

TerryNet

Terry
Well, then
1) she has her router's Dhcp server disabled, and you will have to set a static IP configuration to connect (her subnet is probably different than yours);
2) she is using MAC address filtering, and hasn't included your computer's wireless address; or
3) the encryption code you typed does not agree with the one on her router; it's also advisable when having connection problems to disable encryption, get the connection working, and then enable (WPA) encryption.

I'd guess that #3 is the most likely.

Bajsin

Her router's dhcp server is not disabled, she is not using MAC filtering and the encryption code is correct. I also disabled encryption and still have the same problem.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online