1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BTex, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BTex

BTex Thread Starter

at my wifes office they have a cable modem with a wireless ap
    and it is used just for wireless nitebooks intenet

now they want some security and a server to store files that have to do with the $ and other file and print sharing?

any advice??

and how do i find the IP of the cable modem?

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

To find the ip address of the cable modem have someone from within the network browse to this address and click the button.
    http://www.dslreports.com/whois

as for security on the wireless I would just enable mac address filtering and then add the mac address to the allow list on the AP and deny anyone else. Thats the most secure way to do it in my opinion.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, MAC filtering is not secure at all. I can spoof the MAC address and log onto a wireless network with MAC filtering in seconds. All that's required is to monitor traffic until you have collected the MAC address(es), and wait for that person to be off-line and use their MAC address.

There is no absolute security for wireless 802.11a/b/g at this point. Your best bet is to use 256bit WEP and rotate the keys regularly. It takes several gigabytes of transfers to crack the 128 bit WEP keys with commonly available cracking software, I don't know how much better the 256bit key is, but it's also crackable. Of course, turning off SSID broadcasting and using MAC filtering will add a couple more hoops to jump through, so I'd probably use them all. :)

4. Toddles18

Toddles18

Doh, I knew you could spoof a mac, just didn't think about how they could get a mac with access to the router, didn't think about capturing traffic and extracting the mac from there. Thanks John. :)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've just been through all of this for a client, trying to convince him that it's not bulletproof. It was quite illuminating for him to be presented with articles on cracking WEP and websites where you could download the automated tools! :eek: He's a believer. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice