1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless High speed is acting like dialup please help!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by splagl, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

I'm in middle of a css game when the phone rings and my game freezes up and have to wait for it to stop to play again. But now recently my mom was on the phone and the network was down the whole time. I reset the router modem main computer nothing worked. She got off restarted everything and it worked. What is going on with my network? Please help me I would really appreciate it. You have no idea how frusterating this is.
    Thanks

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Sounds like she is using a wireless phone that is
    interfering with the network.
    Try changing channels on the router and your wireless card.

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi splagl

I have edited the title of your thread. Please refrain from using such language on this forum.
    Please read the Forum Rules before posting again.

4. Cousin Vinny

Cousin Vinny

Hey Splagl

Since you say the your internet connection goes down when someone
    uses the phone, it appears that there is interference between your phone and dsl signal. If you are using a modem, does your dsl light indicator blink during phone calls? if so, you definitely have a dsl signal interference between modem and phone. Simple solution to this to make sure you install filters on all your phones, or make sure all the filters already installed are operational. If that doesn't work, then call up your ISP's tech support, there may be a problem in the phone line causing interference. Hope this helps.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your wiring is the issue, and the proper placement of the filters doesn't correct it, here's how I fix interior wiring for DSL.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco NID (Network Interface Device). This is the place the telephone lines come into your home wiring, usually either in the basement or outside near the other utilitiy connections. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial

6. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

Sorry about the title, won't happen again. As for changing the wireless channel how would you do that? Someone who worked on my network before said that the wireless chanels would have to be changed but he is too busy to come look at it. So is there a way I could do it without installing anything or buying something?
    Thanks

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

What brand is the router?

This is for a Linksys router:
    Access the router through a browser and change the wireless channel under:
    Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings > Wireless Channel

Can others use your wireless without a password, or do you have the wireless secured?

8. JohnWill

The symptoms suggest something other than wireless issues, unless these are wireless phones.

I think we need exact make/model of the router, and the exact make/model of the phone and what frequency it operates on if wireless.

9. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

I have a Linksys WRT350N. I have alot of phones in my house. Some corded some not the most common is 2.4 ghz. There are 5.8 ghz but they dont use a phone jack. They just plug into the wall. I have a secured network. And all the wireless channel configs are set at auto.
    Thanks for the help.

10. JohnWill

Any wireless phones on 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz can screw up 802.11n wireless, it uses both of these channels.

I recently replaced my 5.8ghz phones with DECT 6.0 phones, they run on 1.9ghz and don't step on any of the wireless channels in use. I got rid of the 2.4ghz phones a long time ago.

I still have an old 900mhz wireless phone, it's a 2 line phone, so I'm holding on to it. It still works fine and doesn't bother the wireless networks either.

11. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

So is there anything I can do without changing my phones? This problem never seemed to occur before.
    Thanks

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

13. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

I know how to do that and I checked and they were all set to auto. But they don't automatically check for open signals I guess.

14. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Sorry, my Linksys does not have the auto setting. It is hard to tell if you are referring to the channels for the phones or the channels for the Linksys wireless.

15. JohnWill

You can't use the auto setting for your environment, since the phones are probably not in use when the channel is selected. You have to pick a channel, and you may also have to limit the 802.11n to the 20mhz bandwidth instead of the default 40mhz.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/748223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice