1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless home network - maybe I can do this - or maybe not!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rhall, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhall

rhall Thread Starter

Hello there - hope that you can lend a helping hand.

We have two computers - one for me (work computer) and one for the kids. Computer #1 has:
    Windows XP and Fixed wireless internet connection with an Orinoco Client manager, silver card, and base station.

Computer #2 has:
    Windows 2000 - no internet connection.

I would like to set things up where Computer #2 shares the internet connection Computer #1 has.

We purchased a Linksys 2.4 GHz Wireless B Broadband Router BEFW11s4-VN
    and a
    Linksys Wireless USB Adapter.

I thought that the current internet connection we have would just plug into the router and then into the computer for setup - wrong.

I have no idea how to hook this up - all of the instructions are for DSL/cable modems. But we do not have that - we have fixed wireless (radio tower connection) and not sure how to set this up.

Any suggestions on how to setup this to work - or another method all together. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Chads mom

2. Cwolly

Cwolly

I am not completely clear on your setup, but I would make several suggestions. If its possible to have multiple wireless connections to your base station just use the wireless usb adapter on the second computer and connect to the base station. If not, I would suggest skipping the linksys router you purchases all together. Run a crossover cable from your XP system with the internet connection to the win2000 system. Set up a peer to peer connection between the two computers using windows connection wizard on the XP system, and then run that same setup on the win2k system. When choosing the options on setup, make sure that you have the XP system as "this computer connects to the internet directly, all computers connect to the internet thru this computer." and on the 2000 computer make sure you choose "this computer connects to the internet through another computer." Essentially what this should do is "bridge" the two connections, and both computers should be able to surf on the internet.
    Good luck and let me know how it goes.
    -Cwolly

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice