Wireless Home Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MasquesGuy

Hey all, I know this has probably been said a gazillion times, but I have a desktop connected to a Linksys wireless router, and a Laptop that feeds an internet connection from that router. I wanted to set up a home network so that the laptop and desktop can share files, and so that the laptop can print from the printer that's connected to the desktop via USB. I have run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, but somehow when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" on the Laptop, I can only see the laptop, and when I click it on the desktop, I don't see anything. I know that they are both in the same workgroup (Mshome), but I do not know what else to do. Can someone please help? Thanks a million.

-Marc-

TerryNet

Terry
On each computer ping the other by address and by name (if address was successful). What are the four results?

Make sure the Computer Browser service is running on both computers (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services). After you get the workgroup working you can turn it off one computer if you don't like it running on both.

What OS and patch level are on each computer?

Would you happen to be running software firewalls? What type? If so this is probably the case and the firewall is not setup to allow access from other machines. Let me know if this is the case and i'll walk you through it.

go to printers and make sure that the printer is shared among the computers and try to search for the printers on the laptop if if is not already there.

Couriant

James
One thing about the network wizard, it's not that great.

Hold up. I think I know what your problem is. Is your IP addresses on both machines set to obtain IP address automatically? If so then is your router sending IP addresses? If not then I don't think you are on the same network.

do this:

In command line, type IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\IPCONFIG.TXT on all machines then go into C: drive and post the information here. It sounds like you are not on the same network.

MasquesGuy

LAPTOP

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MyLaptop

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-B8-4F-54-FF

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ORiNOCO Mini PCI Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-6E-DE-B7

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 167.206.3.156

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 27, 2005 5:00:30 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:00:30 PM

DESKTOP

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MYDESKTOP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-5D-CE-EC-E3
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 167.206.3.156
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 27, 2005 11:58:30 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:58:30 PM

MasquesGuy

I should probably also mention that the laptop is running Windows XP Professional Edition, and the Desktop is running Windows XP Home Edition.

Couriant

James
OK two things come to mind:

Your Workgroup is incorrect (to check, right click on My Computer, Properties, Network Indentification)

You have a firewall set up. Check both computers to see if you have one on other than Windows XP's own one.

Troubleshoot:

In command line, on laptop type ping 192.168.1.101 and on desktop type ping 192.168.1.100. If one of them has a Request Timed Out but the other has Reply from 192.168.1.x byte etc. then the one that was fine has a firewall up. If both give Request Timed Out, type ping 192.168.1.1. If this one also timed out, then you have a problem with your router.

MasquesGuy

I pinged each computer from the other one, and each time got 4 responses with an average time of 3ms on both. they are both in the MSHOME workgroup, so I dont think that that is the problem.. It may be a firewall, but how can I check if it is one? I dont know whta to do...

TerryNet

Terry
If the "Network Setup Wizard" that you ran was the "set up a home or small office ..." wizard, and if you specified file and printer sharing, then the Windows XP firewall is properly configured.

If you have Zone Alarm, Norton, or any other 3rd party firewall installed, it may well be causing the problem. You have to do something with trusted zones to allow access from the other computer. Best to uninstall any of these until you get your workgroup working.

Did you do the pings by name or just IP address?

On which computer(s) do you have the Computer Browser service running?

Do you have Service Pack 2 on both computers?

MasquesGuy

I pinged the laptop from the desktop by IP and by NAME and it worked, but I pinged the desktop from teh laptop by IP and it worked, but it cant find the host name of the Desktop when i try to ping by name.

Second, computer browser is running on both the laptop and desktop.

Third, I am not sure, how do I check if i have the service pack?

Question here is are you running a third party firewall? That looks like the problem to me.

Right click on My Computer and go to properties. It should tell you if it has SP2 installed. If it is installed it automatically also installs the Windows firewall. While you are in the My Computer properties go to the security tab and disable the firewall.

Couriant

James
Do that on your Desktop because that's is the computer that is blocking any communication.

MasquesGuy

No, I have service pack one installed on both computers... should i get SP2? what exactly is it, and why will it help/hurt... where can I get it from as well?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online