1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless hotkeys on Ubuntu EeePC 901

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by sorrow, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

I've been trying to get the wireless keys to work on my Eee 901 running Adams Kernel & Ubuntu Eee with limited luck. Following this guide I believe that the wireless does turn on / off because the case light comes back on, but the computer freezes almost immediately and then the light turns back off, so I'm not sure if it actually worked or if the light was just teasing me.

I didn't follow the guide to a T -- it says for EeePC's newer than the 900A to replace “ath_pci” with “rt2860sta” but doing cat /etc/modules shows "ath_pci" but no "rt2860sta" so it seemed logical. Furthermore, the guide refers to the wireless being configured as "ath0" while is "ra0". Other than that I believe I followed the guide exactly.

Any ideas thoughts or ideas on whats going wrong and how I can fix it?

Cheers!

Edit: Just noticed on the third of fourth attempt that it DOES work, but it freezes. I turned the wireless of in the bios, rebooted and tried turned it on. The light came on, and I had time to click on the networking system tray icon and see that it recognized wireless networking as an option (which it had not when first booted up), but it then froze. So it works -- light comes on, wireless becomes available -- but then freezes after 5 - 10 seconds.

2. rosieb

rosieb

I am trying to connect my laptop to a BT Voyager wireless account, my operating system is Ubuntu. It seems to be connected to the network, but there is no signal. Any ideas?

3. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Sorry Rosie, I can't help you on that. Your best bet is to start a new thread and explaining all of the pertinent details -- what kind of computer & what the main specs are, what version of Ubuntu you are using, what kernel you are using, type of wireless card, etc. Then you will want to detail the problem you are having a little bit more, e.g. the wireless claims to be connected to an actual wireless network with a correct ESSID & 4 bars of strength, etc.

Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice