1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless icon and info in device manager suddenly gone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daverose808, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daverose808

daverose808 Thread Starter

i posted the following problem on the Dell forum, but no one has provided the solution, and its been 2 weeks. here is the problem:

All of a sudden, the icon for my wireless connection was missing from the bottom right corner of my inspiron 700m, running xp home, sp2 (avg virus updated). so, i went to device manager, looked under Network Adapters, and the only things i now see are 1)1394 Net Adapter #2 and 2) Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. There is no longer the info for my wireless connection, like there used to be. i went to dell's website to download all the drivers that were available for wireless, and nothing worked. Pressing FN F2 to enable the wireless card did not work either.

I went into the BIOS to make sure the MiniPCI card slot is enabled. i didnt really understand what i saw and whether it meant it was enabled so here is what i found there:

i did not see anything that specifically said "MiniPCI card slot" in the BIOS. But, in the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility, under the Advanced Tab, i saw:

Wireless Control: [<Fn+F2>]
    Wireless: [ On ]

Both of the above were grey. i wasnt able to go down to it or highlight it, as opposed to

USB Emulation: [Enabled]

under the same tab, which was black, and i was able to go down to it and highlight it.

i never set up any password to lock BIOS, so i dont really know why that section was greyed. so, does that mean the minipci card slot was not enabled in the BIOS or was i looking at the wrong thing, or is it enabled and there is another problem? please help!

2. daverose808

daverose808 Thread Starter

im going on a trip soon and could really benefit from wireless... could someone please review this problem and offer help? thank you!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice