1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless internet connection intempestive loss

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by schun, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schun

schun Thread Starter

Hi,

I regularly experience loss of my wireless internet connection through Vista. Sometimes it will connect and after one hour of idle status, the connection is lost. Internet is OK because when the router is bypassed connection is stable. Router has been changed but with no improvement. Is there any particular option that has to be (de)activated within Vista to allow for router connection continuously?
    Thanks in advance,

schun:confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it only happens after a set amount of idle time it probably has to do with one of your power settings--powering down or reducing power to the wireless adapter, sleep or hibernation, etc.

3. schun

schun Thread Starter

Hi Terry,

thanks for your response.
    Actually, it does not only happen after idle time. It also sometimes happens when logging in. The conenction is lost during new login, whereas it was working when logging out. Without the router, connection is fine though.

Eric

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you also have the problem when connected by ethernet to the router?

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are you logging out of one account and logging into another or are you switching accounts?

6. schun

schun Thread Starter

actually, the computer is connecter to the router via the ethernet. And both connections vanish (I should have made myself clearer the first time).

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, you lose connection to the router regardless of the type of connection, but a connection directly to the modem is OK. Are we finally on the same page? :)

Make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade for the router. Then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it. Sometimes these actions jolt a router into behaving again.

8. schun

schun Thread Starter

Hi Terry,

thanks for the suggestions.
    Yes, we are on the same page.

I had a session with the router manufacturer (Cisco's Linksys) a few days ago, in which the problem seemed to be solved... for a week or so, then it came back.
    Since the router has been changed once already and the problem has not changed, I suspect rather a communication problem between the router and the computer, or a security settings which is not appropriate.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There have been complaints of Vista and (at least some models of) Linksys routers not playing nice together. I have no knowledge to confirm or deny the validity of these, but suspect that you have run into this issue.

It would also be good if you could try another computer with your router--maybe the router is dying.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!