1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless internet connection keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Infernus, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Infernus

Infernus Thread Starter

I have a D-Link DL-614+ (revb) router connected to a DWL-510 PCI adapter card which provides my 1mb internet connection. The connection overall is quite good but sometimes the connection keeps dropping every couple of minutes (i get the network cable unplugged bubble) and this can last from about 20 mins to a couple of days and then it works fine again for a period of time. As you can imagine, this gets very annoying when browsing the web + playing games online. So i was wondering if anyone knows what this could be?

Also, can simple things like wires next to the antenna interfere with the signal?

Thanks for any help.

2. dghundt

dghundt

Do you have any devices that can interfere with your signal like cordless phones or a microwave. Try unplugging them and see what happens.

Can you see any other wireless networks in range? If so, try changing channels.

How strong is your signal power most of the time?

3. Infernus

Infernus Thread Starter

I dont have anything like microwaves/cordless phones nearby...only a tv. There are a lot of wires around the antenna at the back of my pc - thats what i was wondering about.

My signal stregth + link quality usually sits at 90% when working fine, but when it starts disconnecting the signal strength goes down to about 75% and the link quality jumps down to about 45%.

4. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

Did you change the name of your network from the default name to something unique? Someone else may be bringing up another router or access point with the same name.

Have you tried another channel as suggested earlier? I believe 1, 6 and 11 are the non overlap channels (if I remember correctly).

I doubt the wires you discussed are the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice