1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Internet Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redh0tchilip3ppr, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redh0tchilip3ppr

redh0tchilip3ppr Thread Starter

My wireless internet keeps getting disconnected but the connection doesn't actually say it's disconnected, I just can't access any websites or if i'm downloading something it just stops. When I go to the status of my wireless connection, bytes are sent but none are recieved. After I sit and wait a minute or two things will start working again but the same problem happens over and over.

I'm using a Connexant PRISM 802.11g Adapter but I can't seem to find any driver updates for it (looked on the connexant site but couldn't find anything) so this may be the problem.

I'm using a Belkin Wireless G Router. I don't own any cordless phone's so I don't think the problem is to do with any interference as my network is on a different channel to all the others in the area. There is only one computer connected to the network which is a Fugitsu Siemens Notebook.

WZC is managing my connection and I don't think the wireless adapters client is running.

Any help would be mich appreciated.

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... and I don't think the wireless adapters client is running.'

With a problem like this you want to make sure. There also may be a utility provided by Dell, HP, etc. If one exists it will probably have 'WLAN' in the name. Look in Notification Area and in Services (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

3. redh0tchilip3ppr

Nope, there was no service running with WLAN in the name. Would it be a good idea to disable WZC and see if the problem continues?

4. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

If you disable WZC be sure you know where to access your conexant wireless utility so you can enable that.

5. redh0tchilip3ppr

But if it's running in the background without me knowing, then it wouldn't need enabling, right?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Would it be a good idea to disable WZC and see if the problem continues?"

One way to make sure! And then with WZC disabled you may as well try the other utility 'cause sometimes an adapter works better with one utility than with another.

7. puntahacharts

puntahacharts

Possibly a shot in the dark, but try matching up the settings in the devices advanced properties with the properties of the Belkin router (i.e. speed, RTS Threshold, Fragmentation Threshold, etc.).

I have found that this is the problem when you are using wireless devices from different manufactuers.

Hope this helps :)

8. redh0tchilip3ppr

Right, so I disabled WZC and everything was running smoothly until my wireless network's status turned to 'acquiring network address.' I had to enable WZC again to solve this problem.

As for matching up the settings in the devices advanced properties with the properties of the Belkin router, I don't know what the router setting are. Does anyone know where to find them?

9. redh0tchilip3ppr

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How to find the router settings?

Start, Run, CMD

IPCONFIG

Take the IP address in the Default Gateway and paste it into the address bar of IE. This will access the router's web based configuration.

11. redh0tchilip3ppr

Ok, so this hasn't solved my problem. Could it be a problem with malware?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "And then with WZC disabled you may as well try the other utility 'cause sometimes an adapter works better with one utility than with another."

You've tried that and get the same results?

13. puntahacharts

puntahacharts

It looks like you have put a lot of effort into this and it might be because Connexant does not work well with Belkin... is it worth your sanity/time? One good way to check compatibility is to buy a Belkin wireless device, test it, and return it if you are not satisfied.

I don't think ethics is a concern, since most stores have a policy on expect customer satisfaction. If it works, you could assume incompatibility... if it doesn't, then you could go back to check interference and application/OS issues.

Just a suggestion...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice