1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless internet not working. I have tried EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hobbaloo, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hobbaloo

hobbaloo Thread Starter

Here's the deal. We have two computers both connected to a WTG624 Netgear router. One is connected by a wireless USB adapter WG111v2, also Netgear.
    A few days ago, one of them suddenly started acting up. The wireless signal (as shown on the netgear network wizard) would connect and then disconnect in a matter of seconds, but even when it said it was connected, the internet wouldn't work at all. I had to reinstall the driver, but that didn't work either. Now I had a constant signal with 80%+ strength but alas, the internet was not working. The networking icon in the system tray said I had 'little or no connection' and when i tried to repair it couldn't get one, ending up with 0.0.0.0.
    I tried putting in ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew into the command prompt box, but it said that it couldn't do anything while 'the media is disconnected'. I tried powercycling. I tried using the Windows wireless connection configuring thing, as the Netgear customer support people told me to, but that didn't work. I tried putting in netsh int ip reset rest.log and then netsh winsock reset catalog too, and then rebooting it, but I still couldn't get internet. I checked all the connections, and it's beginning to drive me mad.
    Does anyone know what's wrong? And can anyone help me? Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. jmwills

jmwills

Reset the router to factory defaults and start over. Also check for a firmware update.

4. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Are you using the netgear software for connecting to the wireless network?
    switch to using Zero config (windows config for wireless)

I had problems before when using a Belkin, using thier own software for connection, but it stopped working, however once i switched to zero config it was working fine again. So just have never went back to using Belkin software and just stuck with Windows Zero config.

5. hobbaloo

hobbaloo Thread Starter

Yeah, I've already tried using the windows software for wireless connections... it made no difference.

6. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Do you have the option of testing another computer/device to connect to your wireless?
    just to see if it works on another PC, and to diagnose whether this is a PC problem or router problem.

7. hobbaloo

hobbaloo Thread Starter

I want to try resetting the factory settings, but I don't know if you have to set the internet up again, which is kinda bad because I don't know any of our passwords or anything for the ISP... =/

I can try testing it on another PC tomorrow, but I don't think it's a computer problem because the problem seems to lie with the IP address and the router.

8. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Don't get me wrong another way to test is to just try and connect your non-working pc to another wireless network and see if it works.

However if it is the router then factory reset is probably best option. When you recieved your router and broadband setup paperwork in the mail then you should have been given all your relevant info.

otherwise, log into your router. Again info should have been supplied beforehand. and check all your info, take a note of everything you'll need before resetting router and setup from scratch again.

Should you have a problem getting any of this information, contact your ISP who should be able to give you all info needed.

9. hobbaloo

hobbaloo Thread Starter

Thanks... if updating the driver doesn't work, then I'll try resetting it... my parents organised the internet, not me :) I know more aobut computers than they do, but I know next to nothing about IP addresses and such. Thanks for your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/859955