1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless internet probelm

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rivolien, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rivolien

Rivolien Thread Starter

Alright I have had this probelm for a while now, I just dealt with it up until now. I want to fix my wireless internet

I have a HP Dv6000 I got last year with windows XP installed, but clearly stated that my notebook is windows vista capable. After a while my computer started to act a little funny(while i was still running windows XP). Like I had no internet connection at one point wired or wireless. It was saying i had no speakers and a bunch of other things. so i tryed to find the probelm and found that i had a trojan horse, and many other virus so my computer was really screwed up at this point. Luckly I back alot of my stuff up and have other computers i could access at the time to get my drivers, then once i got all the windows vista drivers off of the HP website. I got my windows vista upgrade disc from best buy and reformated it then everything worked perfect, but my computer doesnt even detect my wireless adapter(i flip the switch back and forth but the light stays orange). Now im almost positive that this is not a hardware probelm.

You should also note that i have a Nvidia Nforce Networking Controller which really has alot of probelms but once worked fine Help please.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

HP has a utility that loads on their laptops that manages the wireless switch, are you SURE that's loaded for Vista?

3. Rivolien

Rivolien Thread Starter

im not sure im thinking about reformating and downgrading back to XP but that would be a pain so i dont know i have all the drivers off of HPs website for Hp dv6000 vista and my laptop is windows vista capable so i dont know what im saying is i have no wireless internet at all my notebook doesnt even detect it and my hp wireless assistant or whatever wont even work so any suggestions?

4. JohnWill

If the wireless card doesn't appear in Device Manager, you might check the BIOS and see if it's enabled.

5. Rivolien

Rivolien Thread Starter

ok ill check now

6. Rivolien

Rivolien Thread Starter

yes i think its enabled but when i go to the boot order it shows a exclamation mark(!) where it says network adapter should i reformat?

7. Pookie

Pookie

I wouldn't reformat I would just get the correct drivers for it and it should work.

8. victor1655

victor1655

go to the hp website and look for your system in support and drivers
    the issue is that the computer some how still has the xp drivers for the
    wireless adapter and is requiring for you to put the vista ones in
    go to the website and select the modem and place in vista as the os
    look for the driver there, download and install it will give you the install manager
    that way you wont have to manualy doit.

9. JohnWill

You're missing the drivers, the previous responses are right on target.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice