1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless issues after ISP change

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KitKatLuvr, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KitKatLuvr

KitKatLuvr Thread Starter

We are a small business and recently switched from one ISP to another. We now have a static IP from the ISP, whereas before it was DHCP. We use static IP addresses for our ethernet wired connections. The night of the ISP changeover, I changed all of the information given by the ISP on our firewall appliance and users have not had any issues using wired connections. When users try to access our (residential, Linksys) wireless router, they are often unable to connect using DHCP settings and can only connect if we assign a static IP. When running an ipconfig /all on those computers, I can see that they are being assigned a private IP address, 169.XX.XX.XX. In the rare instance that they can connect, they usually can't access network server files unless we assign a static IP. In the TCP/IP properties of the wireless adapter, I have been able to add the static addresses in the Alternate Configuration tab. I noticed that after I do this, the default gateway option is automatically grayed out and reflects our firewall (correctly). What I've done in the alternate configuration is just a workaround; can anyone tell me what needs to be changed in order for wireless users to be able to connect the way we used to, using DHCP? Our firewall acts as our DHCP server, and nothing has changed since the ISP switch as far as those configurations go - there is a pool of over 60 addresses available. I don't know what's causing the issues, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. ETech7

ETech7

Does this look like your network setup:
    ISP modem (setup as a modem, no wireless, no DHCP) -> Linksys router/firewall/DHCP server (static WAN setup) -> networked devices (switches, PCs, printers, etc)?
    That way change of ISP should not effect your DHCP server functionality. Make sure your modem is in bridged mode and doesn't try to service DHCP requests. Contact cisco support.

3. KitKatLuvr

Just tested this again using my laptop and this time I was able to log using a wireless connection and DHCP settings. The default gateway is the only static address showing in the General tab (it's correct), and I DO NOT have anything set up in the Alternate Configuration tab on my laptop. Where is this information being pulled from?! I have both internet and network file access....

4. KitKatLuvr

No, we have a Surfboard modem from the ISP>>Watchguard firewall/router/DHCP server>>networked devices. The wireless router is assigned a static IP and is not attached to the firewall. It's out in a hallway running off an ethernet connection.

5. ETech7

ETech7

Linksys should be connected to the network through LAN port, not WAN. DHCP server on Linksys must be disabled. Wireless mode - AP. If only device connected to Linksys have issues, try replacing/resetting it or contact support, but make sure DHCP is disabled and you you don't use wan port. If other devices also have that problem contact watchdog.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Agreed. Sounds like the router has been misconfigured somehow because changing the static IP as mentioned will not affect the DHCP service... unless the firewall has NAT turned off.

7. KitKatLuvr2

KitKatLuvr2

Okay, I'll take a look at those things and see if the issue is resolved. Thank you both for your suggestions!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice