1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless laptop can see network printer but cannot print

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bromoon, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bromoon

Bromoon Thread Starter

Hi All

I am having problems printing from a wireless laptop.

I have a desktop PC which is connected to an HP Photosmart 1000 printer and is running Window XP SP2

My desktop has a USB Wireless dongle to enable connection to my wifes wireless laptop also running Windows XP SP2.

I have set up the file and printer sharing and can access the folders I have permitted access to.

I have enabled the printer sharing.

On the laptop I can add the printer via the network printer option and the laptop can see the desktop printer.

The only problem is when I try to print the printer fails to print anything.

I am able to print from the desktop but that is all.

Has anyone else had this problem?? or can anyone help sole this issue

Many Thanks

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG

Here are some things you might want to check.Also,I seem to recall that the print driver should also be installed on your wireless pc.

Printer and File Sharing

The following will set up a Microsoft Workgroup for File and Printer Sharing assuming the PCs are already networked via router, ad-hoc wireless or Ethernet (directly or using switch or hub).

In Network and Dial-up Connections (Win 2k Pro) or Network Connections (XP) right click on your connection and select ‘Properties.’ If not already there, install or add a check mark for “Client for Microsoft Networks, “File and Printer sharing …” and “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).”

Right click on My Computer and on the Computer Name tab make sure you have a unique computer name and the workgroup name that you want to use for all computers. Change if necessary.

Restart the PC.

You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine.

If using the XP SP2 firewall: Control Panel – Windows Firewall – on the General tab it should be “On” and on the Exceptions tab “File and Printer Sharing” should be selected.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do the print jobs stay in the print queue on the laptop? No error message or anything? In the laptop's Printers and Faxes panel the printer is marked as online and ready?

4. Bromoon

Bromoon Thread Starter

yes it says it's in the queue but then says failed to print after about 1 minute

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you go into the printer's properties and Print a Test page and then trouble shoot once in a blue moon you get some useful information.

Otherwise all I can suggest is on the laptop to delete the printer, go into My Network Places, find the printer in the Desktop's shares, right click on it and select 'connect.'

6. Bromoon

Bromoon Thread Starter

Hi Again

I get the following message. I have installed the printer drivers but the printer will neither print a test page or any document.

your file could not be printed on \\*************\HP Photosmart**** There are several possible reason

There may be not enough memory available
    There maybe a problem with the network or printer connection
    There maybe a loose connection or cable

I can print fine from the desktop printer but not the wireless laptop.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After deleting and reconnecting as I suggested? Those asterisks are a concern. Long names are supposed to work, but when having any kind of problem like this I advise making external names (e.g., the Computer name and the printer's network share name) a max of 8 letters and numbers (no special characters).

8. Bromoon

Bromoon Thread Starter

Unfortunately they are the lengths of name given by windows, obviously I have remove the correct name for security and added * in place.

One point to note is I had this problem once before and for some reason it suddenly worked but this time it will not.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You think we're going to start using your printer?

Could be a 3rd party firewall (security suite) not playing nice.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/734412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice