1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless - laptop fast, desktop slow.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CF128, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CF128

CF128 Thread Starter

Hi. I'm trying to get my desktop set up but I'm having trouble with the wireless connection. The signal strength is really low.

The thing is my laptop gets fine signal in the same place. Any ideas?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    maybe aerial, - what type of adapter - usually , they are single unit, and desktops low and in corners or back of cupboards

can we see an xirrus screen shot

what type of adapter is it

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) (For windows 8 see below) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal

For windows 8 - I dont have windows 8 and not tried - but this should work

1) MSPaint is only available in classic desktop mode and can not use this program with the new Windows 8 start screen.
    You can find MSPaint by typing “mspaint”, which will search and allow you to install.
    MS "Fresh Paint program" is for Windows 8, download free from the Windows 8 store.

2)
    >Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. CF128

CF128 Thread Starter

andrew2013

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    -91 is too low , its not going to work

you need -70 (note the negative)

5. CF128

CF128 Thread Starter

So what are my options. Get a wireless repeater?

And why does the laptop get good signal perfectly fine.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    would you be able to answer and then we can advise further - all I can see is a tplink

depending on the type of adapter - did it come with the PC and is it part of the PC or is it a USB adapter - where is it plugged in - does it have an aerial - is that connected and screwed up

also can we see an xirrus screen shot from a laptop - as close as possible to the adapter

can you put the adapter in the from USB sockets if it has them and if the adapter is USB type

depending on the type of adapter - you maybe able to use with a USB extension lead, some adapters come with a lead and a base - maybe get that type of adapter

Move the aerial on the router by 90 degrees - sometimes moving the router just a few feet can make a huge difference

7. CF128

CF128 Thread Starter

It's a TP-LINK TL-WN881ND.

It didn't come with the pc, I just installed it today. It's not a usb connection one. It's got 2 little aerials.

It's the same card i had in my last computer, and this computer i have now is very similar... same motherboard, very similar graphics cards - this ones a bit better, very similar cpu - this ones a bit worse.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are they screwed on correctly and fully

move the desktop out so the laptop screen and the aerials are together and then post two xirrus so we can compare signals

9. CF128

CF128 Thread Starter

I don't really understand what you mean. What do you mean by "so the laptop screen and the aerials are together". You mean the little aerials on the back of the desktop?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the little aerials on the backof the desktop pickup the wireless signal and I wanted to put another wireless device near that area, where the aerials on the desktop are
    the aerial in a laptop goes around the screen - so by putting the screen near to the aerials on the desktop - should pickup roughly the same signal - only roughly as different devices and different aerials - but they should be near enough - for example if the desktop adapter says -92 and the laptop says -40 - then theres an issue with the desktop adapter

11. CF128

CF128 Thread Starter

laptop

Attached Files:

12. CF128

CF128 Thread Starter

desktop

...ps the wifi card's brand new. Do you mean it could be faulty, or it's incompatible or something? Or maybe it wasn't installed properly?

Attached Files:

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well -67 v -92 I would say is a problem if they are next to one another

yes , all the above really

i would start by seeing if there is an updated driver on the tplink site and install that - even if not update - do another installation, NOT an update - the driver maybe corrupted - so do an installation

check the aerials - do they screw on - unscrew them and re-screw on
    check any connection on the card itself

this is it
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN881ND#down
    correct
    only has one version of driver - here
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WN881ND&version=V1#tbl_a
    the driver has a setup - so you should just download , extract the zip folder and run the setup

did you install the tplink utility software - it may conflict with the windows version - so you only want one running

14. CF128

CF128 Thread Starter

I downloaded that. It's the exact same thing that comes on the cd with it.

I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly. I pulled it out, put it in another slot (which didn't change anything), and then back in the original slot.

This sucks.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would re-install and use the downloaded version - in case corrupt in some way - seen a few issues resolved this way recently here

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice