1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 refuses to install... looking for suggestions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by myoldself, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myoldself

myoldself Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone has some suggestions for my new problem.

The problem:

My new Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 installs on my laptop the way any normal mouse should. I have since decided to use this new mouse on my desktop PC instead, which was successfully using a wired mouse. When plugging the new mouse in, the New Hardware Wizard could not install the mouse. On top of all this, when I reverted back to my old "wired" mouse, the wizard could not install this mouth either. Something has gone wrong and now I can't install any mice. I have tried all three mice that I own, and it seems that my computer is just having trouble installing mice in general. All the mice install fine on other computer.

Behaviour:

• -wizard says, "cannot install this hardware"
    • -mouse is listed in DEVICE MANAGER as "other device" with a yellow exclamation mark
    • -pointer arrow remains in the middle of screen, mouse doesn't work to move it around.
    • -USB ports work fine for my other USB devices. I've tried them all
    • -Microsoft Intellipoint software is up to date, installed and seemingly ok when I open it in control panel

Already done:

• -tried replacing DRIVER.CAB from WinXP installation disc
    • -tried uninstalling the mouse in DEVICE MANAGER, unistalling Intellipoint, and starting the whole process over again.
    • -tried changing channels from the mouse to the receiver, but that isn't relevant to the problem anyways since I know the mouse works.
    • -tried copying device drivers from the the system folder of my laptop to the desktop
    • -tried all the Found New Hardware Wizard options, from browsing specific driver locations to automatic install. It seems that the Wizard doesn't even bother trying to search the CD-Rom before it says, "cannot install this hardware".
    • -microsoft support site had no relevant topics
    • -other forums had people with the same problem, but no solutions

Thank you for reading my lengthy thread. Hopefully the description of the problem is concise and detailed enough that others with the same problem may find it.

I appreciate any help. Thank you again

david

2. zyper95

zyper95

Have you tried system restore?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!