wireless limited connectivity

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

particles

Hello all,

I have this problem with my Dell laptop and it's really frustrating.
I have been connecting to this unsecured network from my house (not sure where the signal comes from but it should be that from my landlady as the signal is really strong!) with no problem. But all of a sudden, there's one day I lost the connection. My laptop is able to pick up the signal but shows the msg "limited and no connectivity" when connected. I tried to click the repair option, rebooted my laptop several times but it just doesnt work. This problem has persisted for 3 days now. My laptop is able to connect to my school wireless network without problem, so it's nothing to do with the hardware I think.

I have a Dell710m (I think, I don't have my laptop with me now) and it runs window XP.

Thanks a lot in advance for all the advice! Really appreciate that.
Many many thanks!!!!!

TerryNet

Terry
What you are trying to do is illegal and last time I checked the forum rules we don't help with such activity.

You're welcome!!!!!

particles

Thanks --- didn't know it's illegal even if the network is from my landlady? and I have talked to her about the problem, just that both her (a 70 y/o)and me (an social science major) aren't sure what happened with the internet..

Sorry if I've broken the rule of the forum.

TerryNet

Terry
You mentioned "landlady" in your original post but "I have been connecting to this unsecured network from my house (not sure where the signal comes from ..." didn't sound very good to me. :(

Are you now stating that the wireless network in question is your landlady's and internet access is included as part of your rent?

Unplug the router and shutdown all computers that ever connect to it. Plug in router, and then boot computer(s). If you are still not getting a connection please show an ipconfig /all, as follows. Also please tell us the brand and model of the router.

You really should work with her to enable encryption on the router, preferably WPA-PSK. With encryption there is much less chance that somebody unauthorized is using it, and possibly messing with the router settings if the login password is still the default.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

particles

yes, my landlady is very nice and she shares her internet connection with me. Sorry i wasn't being clear enough and confuses you.

The problem's gone now and I'm back online!!! Yay!!!!

Thanks for everything! (y)

TerryNet

Terry
Good! What did you do to fix the problem?

You can mark this "Solved" using the button at the upper left of your first post.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online