1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless maxing out at 20mb download

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leoneire, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leoneire

leoneire Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have a really annoying problem.

Recently i got a new 100mb broadband connection. When i am hardwired into the router i get between 95 and 100mb/second download (checked using speedtests)

But when i am using my wireless connection i can only get 20mb/second.

I have a N series wireless adapter built into my laptop and from the spec online the wireless adapter is capable of reaching 72mb/second. But i'm only getting 20mb/s.

When i click on my wireless properties it shows that i am connected and using the 802.11n series connection.

Does anybody have any ideas.??

DW1501 is the name of my broadband adapter. it came built into my dell laptop with is Inspiron N5010 (15R)
    My router is a thompson TWG870

Any help would be great

Kind regards

Leon

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried different downloads from different locations?

Have you tried using a different channel in case there is interference from something nearby?

Check the adapter's settings, too, to make sure it is using the maximum speed.

3. leoneire

leoneire Thread Starter

Hi Elvandi,

thanks for the reply yeah i have changed all setting on the wireless card and tried changing channels on the router but still no good. I think they card may be faulty as i have seen some posts online where dell had to come out and change the wireless cards in peoples laptops because they where not functioning as expected so tried giving dell a call there but there not open till monday Arggggg

cheers

Leon

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice