1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Media Sharing with Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dbrown111, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbrown111

dbrown111 Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently purchased an Xbox 360. I would like to use it to access my media on my wireless laptop, using the media sharing function and also media center.

I have been able to connect to it with the Xbox only when the laptop is hardwired to the network. The Xbox does not see the laptop when the laptop is wireless. The strange thing is that I have a desktop with a wireless connection to the network and the Xbox sees it fine. The Xbox is behind another router that connects to the main router. I have made sure that the secondary router's DHCP server is off and that all devices receive DHCP via the main router.

I'm not sure if this is a problem in the network or if this is a typical Vista problem. I'm leaning towards it being a problem with the laptop, as I've tested wireless connections to the Xbox with other devices and all seem to work fine.

For now, I don't mind hardwiring the laptop to the network to access my media files via Xbox, but it would be nice to be able to get the laptop to share its media wirelessly.

Thanks!

Here is a general map of my network if it helps:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dpgGELkezYNkKqY5_VnDFQ?authkey=r2fz6MbnmrE&feat=directlink

[​IMG]

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How is that secondary router cabled to the main router, using what port?

3. dbrown111

dbrown111 Thread Starter

The secondary router is connected to port 1 of the main router. The other end of the cable is connected to port 1 of the secondary router. I've tried connecting the cable to the uplink port of the secondary router as well, but that was causing DHCP problems for some reason.

Basically I have the secondary router acting more as just a switch...which has been networking fine with the rest of the network. It works perfectly if I hardwire the laptop to the main router...so it looks like the setup with the secondary router is correct.

Of course, I also tried connecting the Xbox directly to the main router, but still ran into the same issue with the media sharing when the laptop is wireless. I've even tried disabling the firewall in my laptop and the firewalls on the routers..no luck.

I did forget to mention....the Xbox does show up in the network map of vista, but when I try to ping it's IP, (192.168.0.106) it times out like there's nothing there. I've tried this with both routers.

4. dbrown111

dbrown111 Thread Starter

Oh, here are the IP addresses in the network that I also forgot to mention:

DSL Modem: 192.168.1.254
    Main router: 192.168.0.1
    Sec. router: 192.168.0.2
    XP Server: 192.168.0.3
    Laptop: 192.168.0.108 (DHCP)
    Xbox: 192.168.0.106 (DHCP) ..I've also tried setting up as static

All DHCP clients receive DHCP via main router. DHCP server is disabled on secondary router.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd have to be thinking firewall, that appears to be the correct configuration.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice