1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless messaging device

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by Royal_Flush, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royal_Flush

Royal_Flush Thread Starter

I trade stock index futures. On my computer I have my charting software set up with an indicator which triggers perhaps a few times a day. When it does so I enter my buy/sell orders based upon a number of other factors. It also plays an audio file when the indicator triggers. Presently this is fed through an amplifier and speakers so that if I am in the room or the adjacent room I will hear it. I would like more freedom of mobility. I was thinking of using 2 digital phones on intercom; placing one by the speaker and carrying the other around with me. It occurs to me that there may be a better solution than this, any ideas?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    An FM transmitter and a portable FM radio may work for you. A Google search should be able to find one that will let you tap the audio to your speakers with a Y-splitter and then broadcast maybe 150 feet or so.

A wireless baby room monitor may work for you as well. Placing the transmitter near the computer speaker (or with a little hacking of the transmitter, tap the speaker feed) should trigger it when the sound is played. The receivers usually have an adjustable squelch that will silence the receiver until a loud enough sound is detected. Not sure of their typical range though.

3. Royal_Flush

Royal_Flush Thread Starter

Thanks cwwozniak, I knew that there was a better solution. My research leads me to think that the following looks like a good choice with the USB power option. I hope to be able to be anywhere on my property with my MP3 player tuned to the appropriate FM frequency.
    http://www.myfmstation.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/49

I previously considered a baby monitor but the receivers are not that portable. As I recall (it been a long time since I had a baby around) they plug in to a wall outlet. The range should be adequate as I recall picking up other people's transmitters. The adjustable squelch is an attractive feature but should be unnecessary as I can tie the FM transmitter directly into my audio card output.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice