1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless N Adapter Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by buckeye81, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buckeye81

buckeye81 Thread Starter

Hi everyone- long time reader, first time poster!

I have a question regarding what type of Wireless N adapter to buy for my laptop. I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 series laptop, with an internal b/g adapter. My old router bit the dust and a while back I bought a Linksys 160N router (been great- good, consistent connection). But, I'm now to the point where I'd like to buy an adapter for my laptop in order to take advantage of having an N router (was my plan when I bought the router). I've been looking at the Linksys Rangeplus N (forget now which model number) and I noticed there is an expresscard version and a USB version.

Basically, I am curious which would be a better choice in regards of taking advantage of the fastest transfer speeds possible. The only reason I was even considering the xpress card version is the basic fact of not wanting a usb sticking out of my laptop anytime i'm using it (all the time, everywhere) and potentially getting broken (snapped off, bumped at al.). The xpress card would stick out somewhat, but not nearly like a USB. I just couldn't find much on the transfer speeds as far as how much of a difference it makes, and also I'm unclear on which xpress card would fit my laptop. In the users book ( http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_A215-S7422.pdf ) for my laptop (A215-S7422) it mentions accepting: ExpressCard™ slot (ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54).

Aren't those basically different sizes? And would that mean I can use either?

Sorry for a lengthy post, with possibly more info than needed to answer my question, but just wanted some guidance prior to dropping 50 bucks (unless anyone knows where I can get one cheaper!!) on a N adapter.

Thanks!!:)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For myself I prefer an ExpressCard over a USB. For the fastest "transfer speeds" don't even think about wireless. Use gigabit ethernet.

What else will be in your "transfer" network other than the Toshiba laptop connecting by wireless and the Linksys 'N' router?

3. buckeye81

buckeye81 Thread Starter

Well, in general, I'm not necessarily looking at transfer speeds as much as general speed for everyday browsing, streaming sports and music, etc. I have heard of gigabit, but don't know anything about it really. I'm not looking to invest in much more equipment at this point, but could be something to consider in the future.

The other two computers are an ancient HP desktop (main desktop- girlfriend's- I never use it) and also girlfriends relatively old Dell laptop. She doesn't worry so much about speed as just having a connection - she's happy, so I'm happy, except for wanting a bit more out of what the cable internet provides on my laptop, without having to be wired directly into the router or modem.

4. buckeye81

buckeye81 Thread Starter

Is there really any difference in the expresscard vs usb adapter? Other than the physical properties? In addition, I'm not clear on which expresscard would be the best for my toshiba (the /34 or /54 - not clear on what the difference is here- i thought it was the physical size of the card).

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless your internet access is greater than about 20 - 25 Mbps you'll see little or no difference between 802.11g and 802.11n.

About ExpressCard® Technology.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice