1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network adapter missing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SevrineZaren, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SevrineZaren

SevrineZaren Thread Starter

Hey guys

My mother got a hold of the family netbook and deleted the drivers for my wireless network adapter. I can't seem for the life of me to get the drivers to come back and I went online and found them but that didn't work either.

My netbook can't even see that there's a wireless adapter in the computer. What can I do to fix this? I have a Samsung N150 Plus NetBook with windows 7 starter.

Kimie

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Just to confirm we have the right one, I take it this is the right netbook here?

The drivers for it are here, is this where you got them from? The potential problem could be you got the wrong drivers as there are three different sets of Wireless LAN drivers on that page dependant on which wireless adaptor it has (Atheros, Realtek or Broadcom).

Can you have a look in the Device Manager and see if there are any items there that have a yellow (!) against them? To get to the Device Manager (assuming you are using the default Windows 7 setup) do the following (if I remember correctly, I have XP at work):

- Click the Windows button on your Desktop (bottom left) and select Control Panel
    - When that opens select System and Security
    - When that opens select Device Manager, you should get something that looks similar to this:

[​IMG]

Look for any item that has a yellow (!) against it, if there are any the view will automatically be expanded, so any sections that just have a + next to them do not need to be checked. Let us know how you get on.

3. SevrineZaren

That is indeed the right computer :3

I went and looked at my device manager before I started looking online to try to fix the driver issue myself and there was a item in there (I can't remember it's name! >_<) but it had a sub item called a "network controller" with a (!) on it.

When I connected to my boyfriend's computer with an ethernet cord with him connected to the internet wirelessly, I don't know what happened to the item with the network controller in it, but it's gone now and the computer sees my Atheros network adapter but says I have no connections (other than my Verizon Wireless MiFi, which only worked with this computer if it was directly plugged in.) I'm not sure if being connected to the internet in some way did this?

I DID get the Atheros driver from the website you linked to, but I also tried the Broadcom one because the Atheros one didn't work, despite it being the right driver. Should I delete them both and try the Atheros one again? Neither of them worked at fixing the problem. :/

Ever since I connected to my boyfriends computer via ethernet cord, the device manager has no yellow (!) anywhere on it. I tried disconnecting from the net and seeing if the mysterious item with the network controller came back, but it didn't.

Thanks for your help! >_< it's very much appreciated.
    Kimie~

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    OK. I would remove the Broadcom and Atheros drivers if you can, potentially even remove the network adaptor and restart the PC so it re-detects it. You may have a driver conflict problem with the two sets installed. Try the bits below first, then try removing the device and letting the PC redetect it.

Open up Control Panel > Network Sharing Center > Network Connections.

You should have two connections in there (hopefully), one being the Atheros Wireless card and one being the wired network card. Right click the Atheros Wireless connection and confirm it is enabled, it probably is but just checking. If it is already enabled then disable and re-enable it, this can help to reset it.

It might also be worth running through the network setup wizard (I normally do it that way, its just quick and easy). If I remember correctly (only have WinXP at work) there should be an option on the left side of the Network Connections window, something like 'Run Network Setup Wizard' or similar. Do that, follow the prompts and answering the questions. If you tell it you want a wireless network it should then show a list of available networks and set it all up for you. You will need the encryption key for your router assuming you have wireless incryption setup on it.

Apologies if you tried all this, I am not a networking guru myself just going over some of the things I would try.

5. SevrineZaren

No, no apologies, I'm glad for any help since I haven't gotten anywhere without it. xD
    I've gone through the wizard, and I've also tried manually setting up a connection but it always says "An unexpected error occurred." Sometimes, the choice to manually set up a wireless connection isn't even there.

I might just take the computer apart and pull out the card and put it back in. Whatever my mom did, she... really did it and messed up her ability to use wireless. xD Until she lets me open it, I'll just fiddle with it and I'll come back in and update when and how I get it working.

Thanks for your help :3
    Kimie

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice