1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Adapter or Ethernet PCI Network Card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jiju1943, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jiju1943

jiju1943 Thread Starter

Our internet service provider updated our internet speed from 100mbps to 1000mbps for no extra cost. We had a Netgear n150 wireless router but it wouldn't support the 1000mbps speed. We were told we needed to upgrade to a r6300 netgear router which is capable of 1000mbps. Now were are told we need to install an ethernet PCI network card or a network adapter. I am told we have to have a 2.0 port for the network adapter to work. It would be cheaper for us to install the internal Ethernet PCI Card, my problem is I don't know which one to buy. I know we need one that is rated 1000mbps, are these universal or will we have to buy one that fits each brand of computer?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Brand of computer doesn't make any difference. Just need to have a spare PCI slot.

3. jiju1943

jiju1943 Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch Terry, I appreciate your information, all I got to do now is figure out which is a PCI slot.
    There are many open slots but I don't know what they are. I will open the case again here in a little while and see if I can figure it out.
    One more question, is a modem slot the same as a PCI slot? Thanks again.

Jim

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you're really lost with regards to PCI cards/slots see pages 15 through 17 in this Dell Dimension 4500 User's Guide (picked that "at random" because I used to have one).

5. jiju1943

jiju1943 Thread Starter

Thanks again Terry, that is a big help.

Jim

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. jiju1943

jiju1943 Thread Starter

Our problem is not solved yet. We bought new 1000Mbps ethernet cards and installed them. A tech came out from our service provider and told us we needed 2Gb of RAM for the 1000Mbps to work on our computers. Both of our computers are really old and I know mine isn't worth fooling with. My wife's computer is a Dell 8200 which may handle the 2 GB of Ram. Can we remove the windows XP pro and install windows 7 or would it be worth the effort. I see a lot of refurbished computers online pretty cheap but don't know enough about them to get a good one that can be expanded. For now if we can blow XP pro off her computer and make hers work that will help a lot.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've never heard of needing that much memory to use a gigabit ethernet card. Is that listed in the requirements for the card? OTOH I have heard of "techs" make nonsense claims to get out of the house or off the phone when they have no clue what's wrong.

So, what's not working? Have you physically installed a card? Installed the XP driver for it? Does it appear as "OK" in Device Manager? If yes to those questions ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What, if I may ask, are you paying? This article indicates $300. I have trouble understanding why anybody with two old computers would need more than that $58 service, which is still far better for both speed and service/price ratio that almost every residential and small business customer in this country has.

By the way, I just looked at your Computer specs. You may need SP3, and you should certainly have that anyhow.

10. jiju1943

jiju1943 Thread Starter

Terry, that was 2012 prices, they changed their system this year as of the 1st of Oct. You can only get two speeds now, 100Mbps and 1,000Mbps the 100 cost $57 a month and the 1000 cost $69 a month. The businesses that had the 1000 and paying $300 a month got their bill lowered to $69 a month. That was really nice of them and we appreciate it. I don't know how we got bumped into the $69 bracket but we did, we originally only had the basic 20Mbps plan.

I have done some searching and found out 1000 Mbps does not = 1000 MBps, Mbps = megabits, MBps = Megabytes, a lot of difference. We are learning but not fast enough.

I do understand we need SP3 but I was told way back the service packs messed up computers so I never got that update.A buddy of mine up in Alaska built my computer and Lord only knows what it is or has in it. I want to buy another computer with Windows 7 on it and do away with this computer. I think we can get two or 4 Gigs of Ram on my wife's, I just don't know if I can install Windows 7 on her computer, it has a 600 GB hard drive. She has 2.0 Ghz if that helps.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for the explanation.

Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. Check on the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site for Windows 7 drivers.

12. jiju1943

jiju1943 Thread Starter

Once again, thank you, I will be back soon.

Jim

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1109957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice