1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Adapter will not work, uninstall, reinstall, or update driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Counslr2l, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Counslr2l

Counslr2l Thread Starter

After travelling with my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop, as many times before, I took it out to start it up, re-installing the Linksys Wireless Network Adapter. The pc was unable to connect to the router and then it crashed. After a few tries, I rebooted and tried to uninstall/reinstall the software, it crashed again during uninstall. It proceeded to crash from boot up or Windows Logo screen until I gave up and packed it back up. Now at home, I tried to re-boot and still crashed at boot. After some research, I finally was able to get enough info to understand the flashing blue screen error message. It was a stop error 0x0000008E. More research and I tried to boot with only one memory stick. It booted up and I had to choose "Last known good config". I then tried the other stick in the other memory slot and it worked too. Hmmm! not sure why! So both sticks and slots work. I decided to try both sticks again and again had to choose "last known good config" and then it booted. So, I don't know if that problem is solved or just at bay for a little longer but, I can still not install or uninstall or update the driver for the wireless card. In Add/Remove programs it shows the Wireless-G Network Adapter with a 0.03 mb file that will not uninstall. If I try to re-install or update drivers it says it is already installed or that drivers already exist and are up to date. Sorry for the book but, I wanted to give as much info as I could. Can you tell me if I need to continue to concern about the crashing issue or how to get this software to install correctly? Can someone walk me through doing the un-install or update manually? Should i consider re-installing windows XP? Would that even solve the problem?

Thank you so very much.

2. Counslr2l

Counslr2l Thread Starter

Since there have been no replies to this, I wanted to update so others with a similar problem may find an answer. I have fixed the problem. It was a registry issue. I was able to get a registry cleaner from the adapter's manufacturer. Though, booting the pc with only one memory stick and finding out the Stop error were also instrumental. After using the cleaner, I downloaded the drivers to another pc and used a flash drive to reintroduce them to my laptop. I am happy to say that I am back up and running with no subsequent crashes and plenty on internet access. Thank You for all of your Help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!