wireless network adaptor problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thefreeman0001

recently a probelm has occured with my wireless network. I have been using this wireless USB adapter from linksy for about a year with no problems its been quick and stable. but recently ive ran into a massive roadblock. I was playing a game id recently installed (aquired legally on CD) and before i began to play i disconnected from the internet (like id done a hundred times before) so i could free up the connection for other people in my house. when i went to reconnect to the network I got greeted with the message "the capability of your network adapter does not match the requirements of this network". Nothing had been changed in the time i disconnected from the internet and attempted to get back on it. at first I thought maybe the device is failing? because no one else in my house cant access the internet. im typing this from my laptop whilst my primary computer is showing me the error message now. anyway i installed the wireless adaptor and entered in my password to connect to the wireless network I usually do and the thing connects and runs flawlessly. so i retunred to my usual computer and uninstalled everything related to the device all the drivers and settings etc and reinstalled a new. everything is fine until the time comes to enter the password in. I enter the password correctly and then i get greeted with "the capability of your network adapter does not match the requirements of this network" error message only now my network status is stuck at the error message telling me im connected to an unidentified network with limited connectivity! can someone please help me?

Are you sure you have connected to your modem/router or have you accidentally clicked on somebody elses by mistake?

thefreeman0001

im 100% positive that im on the right network the name is the same as its always been i even disconnected from my laptop, picked the same network im trying to get onto with my other comp, typed in the same password and it works no bother. the curious thing is when i look in the network and sharing centre of vista my wireless connection is listed as number 5 when it should be number 4. also on further inspection I cant aquire a new IP adress. when i look at the network list i see some networks ive never seen before. everyone where i live is with sky broadband so our routers are named things like SKY12345 and the like. because of this we're all using the same routers and such and occasionally i detect upto 5 networks other times i get only my own and maybe next doors. could it be that somehow the routers name was changed without my knowledge and the list of routers wouldnt show it until i manually searched for it? because that sort of thing could happen with the people im living with.

thefreeman0001

I knew it! one of my housemates has been tinkering around with the router speed settings and im assuming vista couldnt recognise the network because of it. I dont know why that would happening considering how the same hardware im using now worked on xp under the new speed but couldnt on vista. but never mind im back on the net on my main computer so all is well for now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online