1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network between desktop PC and Laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dcypher, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcypher

dcypher Thread Starter

I have an existing PC (XP Home OS) with dial-up access to the web and I just bought a notebook that has a wireless network card in it (XP Pro OS). I am assuming I'll need to purchase a network card for the desktop PC before I can setup this network, does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to buy? Price range, etc. My office is in the basement of my home and I want to be able to share the internet connection, printer, files, etc. on the desktop from the living room of the house (floor above). I would probably just use the Network Setup Wizard that is in XP...that brings up another question...is this all do-able between XP Home and XP Pro? Thanks for any advice.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I would recommend you consider a wireless router, something along the lines of the SMC Barricade. It had dial-up and broadband support, so you'll be ready for faster speeds when they come along. You can connect directly to it from the desktop machine. If you shop around, it won't be a lot more than the WAP (Wireless Access Point), but will offer a lot more flexibility.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice